Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2001 M-B E320 (W210)
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, still trying to sort out a few minor problems and am hoping someone might have some ideas for me:

1. Driver’s door can be locked from the inside when the door is closed or with the key from outside. But I cannot lock the door by simply pushing down the lock and closing the door; the lock will not push down, though the passenger side locks properly.

2. Occasionally, the alarm goes off when you unlock the door using the key; this happens every few days. Due to the above, I lock the door with the key and for no apparent reason, the alarm will go off after unlocking and then opening the door. Any ideas why the alarm is being triggered, and can I remove a fuse to temporarily disarm the system until I find out why this is happening? Neighbors don’t like it at 5:00 am…

3. Lastly, one of the fuses that power the driver’s window and right-passenger windows keeps blowing. I don’t even know that it has blown until I try to raise or lower one of those windows, as it doesn’t blow while the window is in use… any ideas on this one?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions…

·
Registered
w126
1,535 Posts
1. I think that feature is to prevent you from locking the keys in the car.

2. It's likely the keyswitch attached to the lock is bad, but it could be the module. In the forward area of the passenger footwell beneath the carpet there's a black plastic access panel. The alarm module is underneath there. You can unplug that to disable it.

·
Registered
2001 M-B E320 (W210)
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. I think that feature is to prevent you from locking the keys in the car.

2. It's likely the keyswitch attached to the lock is bad, but it could be the module. In the forward area of the passenger footwell beneath the carpet there's a black plastic access panel. The alarm module is underneath there. You can unplug that to disable it.
Aspect;

Thanks for the information; regarding item #1, the owner's manual states that the doors can be locked by simply pushing down the door locks and closing the door. That works on the passenger side, but not the driver's side.

Item #2 - if it keeps acting up, maybe I'll try disabling it until I can find the problem. Kind of embarrassing setting the alarm off in my driveway and work!

·
Banned
99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
4,583 Posts
Aspect;

Thanks for the information; regarding item #1, the owner's manual states that the doors can be locked by simply pushing down the door locks and closing the door. That works on the passenger side, but not the driver's side.
Are you sure the manual says that? I can't lock my drivers door and then shut it. I think that is a safety feature and it's working correctly.

The alarm is another story. The key should de-activate it when you unlock the door.

·
Registered
1989 560SEL
227 Posts
you cannot lock the drivers door with the door open on any mercedes ever. (most german cars are this way if not all) If you close the door and open the passenger door behind it you can push down the lock and lock the car that way, but why are you not locking it with the key?

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes-Benz 420 SEL(RIP),1997 Mercedes-Benz E420
1,936 Posts
My Alarm does this as well, But its just the rear tail lights that flash and no sound its been about 4 months trying to investigate and hack down this problem but still no prevail yet. the alarm would only go off when it seems to be high humidity(LIVING ON GUAM) or as soon as i shut the door and lock it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My Alarm does this as well, But its just the rear tail lights that flash and no sound its been about 4 months trying to investigate and hack down this problem but still no prevail yet. the alarm would only go off when it seems to be high humidity(LIVING ON GUAM) or as soon as i shut the door and lock it.
One thing you might want to check is if your alarm horns are connected. On mine the little tabs on the actual horn/siren had fallen off. Now if it's going off accidentaly, you probably won't want to fix that anywyas, just throwing it out there.

BTW- are you with the air force? My friend lives in Guam for the summers.

·
Registered
2001 M-B E320 (W210)
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you sure the manual says that? I can't lock my drivers door and then shut it. I think that is a safety feature and it's working correctly.

The alarm is another story. The key should de-activate it when you unlock the door.
mr.xpowerseller and pas;

You're both correct; I've re-read that section in the manual and it does state '...provided the door is completely closed.' A few paragraphs back from that statement it says 'by pushing down or pulling up the interior door lock button at either front door.' and I took that as having the door open and then locking it. Looks like you use the key or open the back door and then reach up and use the front lock. I had a few Volkswagens many years ago, so I should have known this... thanks for the clarification.

Now if I can figure out why the alarms goes off at times when using the key...

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes-Benz 420 SEL(RIP),1997 Mercedes-Benz E420
1,936 Posts
No, im just a resident. but idk if you've heard of that recent crash of the B2 bomber here thank god no one was hurt. i remember seeing something scrape along the floor while i was driving i thought it was a temp. sensor. im still not too sure of what it is.

·
Registered
2001 M-B E320 (W210)
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's likely the keyswitch attached to the lock is bad, but it could be the module. In the forward area of the passenger footwell beneath the carpet there's a black plastic access panel. The alarm module is underneath there. You can unplug that to disable it.
Is this keyswitch mounted to the inside of the driver's door lock?

I looked under the carpet on the passenger side footwell and see a large plastic access panel with an air bag warning; is this where the alarm module is located? Would you replace the keyswitch or the alarm module first in trying to sort this problem out?

Thank you,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts