Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
S320, Q45 & LexSC250
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[?]
Has anyone seen dark brownish oil or liquid wax floating in their otherwise green radiator coolant reservoir?
My car is a 1992/93 S320.

Its not much but as i noticed and cleaned it completely (with a tooth brush & straw) just a month ago it is worrying me sick.
I am a long way from my next service interval but will be forced to take her in as i don't want to risk overheating.
The motor runs without any probs and the engine temp indicator has been stable and safe inspite of the warm summer. Have not driven her much though.

I have been using Shell Helix Ultra 10W-40 oil which i only recently discovered is not 100% synthetic inspite of what it says on the bottle. Will be switching to Mobil-1 which i already use in my Infiniti V8 and Soarer turbo (which are driven a little harder).

Please help...
CVS
[:(]

·
Registered
1996 S500 coupe
788 Posts
the 300/320's are known for headgasket failures, what you have found is a telltale sign

you will need to do a headgasket job soon.

·
Registered
S320, Q45 & LexSC250
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the warning "Snik" and "Brett".

I think "AL-Sayegh" in the other thread "Oil & Water Mix" has the same problem as he seems to be describing similar symptoms but from the other end! i.e. coolant in his engine.

Definitely sounds like the head gasket and my tuner has already said so. Wonder what it costs but being Merc it won't be cheap. Still better to have caught the problem now than let it fester and harm the engine. Will have to bring forward my service interval pronto even though i have not clocked much kilometers.

Thanks
CVS

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have both a '92 and a '93 300SE and while they are almost identical there are some differences. I had the EXACT same problem occur on my '93 300SE (oil in the coolant). The initial diagnosis was replace the head gasket and shave the head. I did this this and the problem continued. After many days, and lots of opinions and dollars, it turns out that on a '93 300SE there is some sort of cooling device that has the engine oil running through one side and coolant through the other. It failed and allowed the two to mix. I am sorry but I can remember the exact name of this device, but it was only about $200USD. Once I replaced this the problem went away. My '92 does not have this and it is my understanding that it was only used in '93.

I hope that this helps.

Mark

·
Registered
S320, Q45 & LexSC250
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks mpayne for an interesting alternative.
MBS_Auto suggested the head gasket set (Parts reference number: A8010-65809 cost USD$64) in the other "Oil & Water Mix" thread.
My car SClass is 1993 plated/registered but will have to check under the hood to find exact built date. I will be quite happy get out of this one for only USD200 or USD64...[8D]
Fingers crossed that the coolant or engine oil has not contaminated anything else..[B)]

Thanks again folks
CVS

1 - 6 of 6 Posts