Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
93 190E 2.6; 82 300 SD Turbo
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started my 300SD today and my friend witnessed my exhaust blow out oil all over my driveway...

I also noticed, I have some kind of oil leak because, looking at this picture of where i park, its quite clear...

Now I need some courses of action for both the spray of oil and the leak of oil...any ideas? I have pics of my engine compartment but that prolly wont help--but if anyone wants to see ill post them..

thanks again,

Kris

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Are you sure it’s oil? Sometimes
the diesels will puke some carbon sludge
when it’s cold. Is this first time you’ve
seen this? Have you had oil consumption
issues (adding oil between changes)?

The drips on the driveway are SOP
for a 20 plus y/o diesel – mine
does it, too. Your drips don’t look
too bad. It’s fixed by gasket/seal
replacement. But it’s not a big deal.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this is the first time i've seen it blow stuff out the tail pipe like that, it was cold when i started it so im hoping your right, but i have had some oil consumption issues, a few hundred miles b4 my last change there WAS NONE! I had to take my other car to get some qts of oil for it. Its due for a change at 118,000 its at 116,900 or so. I added a bit in last week I try to keep it in the middle of that indicator on the dip stick...

what is SOP? lol
Hmm, my dad mentioned somthing about these drips, he said he knew the gasket/seal was going bad but said its been doing it for a while, i wonder how much the seal + work would be...

Thanks jdc

Kris

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
If you have not done so already
go stick your finger in the exhaust
puke and give it a sniff or use a paper
towel if you don’t want any on your skin
– if its engine oil you’ll know.

Standard Operating Procedure – sorry – I date myself, perhaps; due to the intense pressures
common in a diesel, leaks are extremely common
and often not a problem.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took a rag to the mark on the ground and it was like this powder/dust thing kinda resembled soot. I'm thinking it just them carbons that jdc refered to.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Excellent – a soot or power-like charcoal is no problem. I say it’s Italian tune-up time.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL. and now the fun starts [:D]

·
1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
4,191 Posts
Hey jdc,

Is ah, Kris (aka: JamesDean) old enough to recognize the "Italian Tune-up" concept? [:D]

My '58 Jag does that 'carbon splatter' all over the wall & floor on a cold start, if I let it run for a bit B4 starting off. Normal. Whan Kath. & I go out for a ride in 'The Cat', she gives the exhaust tips a wide berth before getting into the car. A memory of black speckled legs comes to mind...... I digress.
Both of our Volvos do the same if left alone after a cold start, rather than being driven straight-away. My MB & my '30 Ford also dribble wet carbon deposits onto the floor, if allowed.

JamesD & others... Gasoline is a hydrocarbon fuel source. Water (hydro) vapor is one of the combustion byproducts, hence the amount of vapor coming out the tailpipe when the weather is cooler or CCCOLD (& the engine is cool).

Aside BTW: This is also the main reason exhaust systems go bad, especially w/low mileage cars. Blanket assumption right here: With short trips @ low speeds, the exhaust rarely gets warm enough to evaporate the moisture collected in the mufflers (especially the rear one), causing corrosion from the inside.

Off Soapbox, MBL

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Italian tune up concept...lol Simple tune up basically, take your car out get er nice and warm and just floor it a couple times thus making the engine nice and hot thus burning the carbon and other residues in it right out the tail [:D]

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Sounds like he’s got it. Sometimes I take my diesel up 75 to SR 54 and back, 70 mph for about an hour to keep the carbon build-up away.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah about mph, whats with out gauges speedometer only goes up to 80mph??

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
That's the kind of stuff tailgaters should eat! Breakfast, lunch or dinner...heck, even "brunch"!

When you do that Italian Tune up, make sure you have a tailgater behind... and be prepared to laugh when you stomp on that pedal!! [:D]

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
nappy?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
nappy?

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
That’s British for ‘diaper,’ our friend from across the Pond is recommending we cork our cars…[:p]

·
Registered
300 SEL- 190D- 380 SEC
227 Posts
Of course if you live in a near a highway or freeway all you need to do is pull on the on ramp and try to merge with the traffic. My 190's got at least 400K and she does't do much of that. Then again I'm used to having to get up to 50+ just out of the drive way.

Makes you feel like james bond, as you look back and see the pile up.[:p]

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Yes, it’s common for gas powered cars to do that from time to time – same reason: carbon buildup.

·
Registered
124 Posts
jdc1244a - 4/6/2005 2:39 PM

Yes, it’s common for gas powered cars to do that from time to time – same reason: carbon buildup.
How do I get rid of that build up or reduce it???

Thanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts