Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
'80 300SD (W116), '81 300D, '89 560SL, '01 E320
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm learning something interesting and I want to share it -- it's almost impossible to find information on this.

I took the wheels off my 1980 300SD to have them powder coated. I just got them back, and they look sweet.

However, upon getting them back and trying to get tires mounted, I learned that they require a special valve stem. This model, number 1084000902, does not have a specially machined valve stem hole like the newer models do. Most modern rubber valve stems are just pulled through the hole in the wheel and snap into place, with a groove in the rubber made to fit around metal about 1/8" thick or so. Most of the MB bundt wheels you'll find are machined in this way.

These early models, though, don't have that machining -- the holes are drilled through metal about 1/4 to 1/3", much too thick to allow the rubber valve stems to be pulled through all the way. One guy tried pulling a valve stem through after using some lubricating soapy water, and the stem kept popping out. Another guy did it dry, and the stem stayed in firmly, but I'm told that might be dangerous -- the stem could get pushed back in.

The solution seems to be to use a special metal valve stem made by Mercedes, and it might be an expensive part. Some online posts reference them costing $14 each, another stated $25 for four. I'm going to try to find out tomorrow.

This is turning out to be frustrating...I have another set of these wheels in the garage, and they are the newer ones (part number starts with "126"), and they use the standard rubber valve stems. However, they may not have the same depths and clearances, so beware if you're switching between chassis types.

A lot of this info I learned tonight from here:

http://archives.xxx.org/diesel/2001/Aug/Vol_3_Num_924/ (change the "xxx" to "mbz" -- benzworld won't let me post it for some reason and keeps changing it)

I will try to post some photos of the valve stems if I can.

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,839 Posts

This is turning out to be frustrating...I have another set of these wheels in the garage, and they are the newer ones (part number starts with "126"), and they use the standard rubber valve stems. However, they may not have the same depths and clearances, so beware if you're switching between chassis types.

The "ET" designation along with the 7J, etc on the inside of the wheels tell the tale.

·
Registered
1985 380 SL, 1969 280 SL, 1966 Datsun 1600 Roadster, 1999 Miata
59 Posts
I went through this over 2 years ago. I know I posted something on the forum at that time. I bought some wheels off e-bay, and have no idea what they came from, but finally bought some stems from the MB Classic center that were perfect. $6.50 each plus shipping: PN 107-400-00-13. I know yours is a 113, but I'm betting this stem works for the thick un-machined older wheels. It is a metal stem, and really looks nice.

I tried just about everything before getting help from the Classic Center.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts