Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2002 ml55
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Problem: can't program the mirror position into memory, and can't get it to tilt down in reverse.

Tried:
  • Seat memory alone works, mirror up/down left/right fold in/out all works as normal.
  • Did the seat memory program procedure (as per manual and forum info). Making sure right mirror button is pressed down of course.
  • Checked all fuses in Engine Bay, and in Passenger Footwell
  • Removed and re-seated Driver seat connector
Scanner: Got the attached picture potentiometer codes... I am guessing something is pinched at the door connector. Using the Wiring diagram... I am guessing it is the following pins of the connector.... 8,9,10 and 17,18,19, 20

Question 1: Before I start tearing the car apart again, I want to ask if someone has a suggestion / or diagnostic tree to solve the problem? How would you approach the problem ?

Question 2: Would only one door have to be having trouble for both mirrors to not be able to be programmed into memory? Is it likely both front door connectors are pinched at same time?

Reference : Good Thread Here

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,532 Posts
Were you able to program them before? Are you sure you have programmable mirrors? Just because the seats are does not mean the mirrors are. You gave no history so..don’t know if the ml is new to you.

Our 500 has them 350 does not I would think a 55 would but you havei an early 55.

With vin decoder one can check options.

You may know all the above I ask so others are aware as well.

·
Registered
2002 ml55
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no worries... yes i recall that they were programmable before ... but FOR SURE the passenger mirror always dipped down in reverse

·
Registered
2002 ml55
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
VIN DECODED : 2002 ML55
040U BLACK
345 RAIN SENSOR
357 NAVIGATION-SYSTEM - ADDITIONAL EQUIPMENT
461 INSTRUMENT WITH MILES IND. AND ENGLISH LEGEND
494 U.S. VERSION
500 OUTSIDE REAR VIEW MIRROR LH AND RH FOLDING
522 RADIO ICU "ALPINE" USA
524 PAINTWORK - PRESERVATION
561A EXCLUSIVE LEATHER BLACK / ANTHRACITE
636 DELETION - WARNING TRIANGLE
706L UNITED STATES (USA)
802 AEJ 06/1/M/X
840 DARK TINTED GLASS
887 LOCKABLE SAFE
M113 V8-GASOLINE ENGINE M113
M55 CAPACITY 5,5 LITRE
U70 BRAKE CALIPERS PAINTED RED
040U BLACK
561A EXCLUSIVE LEATHER BLACK / ANTHRACITE

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,532 Posts
Did you check the fuse not sure which
It be for the memory? The convenience fuse?
Does the memory for seats work?

It be odd for the door molex connector to fail it is pretty stout!

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,405 Posts

·
Registered
2002 ml55
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i agree it’s not likely... the 2 additional things i will add are :

i recently replaced the whole
power window (lower control field ) console... with a new one (with the correct folding mirror / mirror adjustment switch)... could that be related? does the mirror/window panel have to be coded ?... everything else works as it should

i already checked all the fuses

i even swapped a spare mirror (both have the same number of connections) to test as well

my question is specifically 2 things :
does the fault code point to something like the door connector?

and 2nd, does the system (mirror memory of both mirrors) not work if, for example , only one door connection is damaged ? or do both door connectors have to be damaged in order for a memory malfunction happening in both mirrors?

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,532 Posts
Have you reprogrammed the mirrors the passenger mirror when in reverse does not just tilt to a factory preset.

It needs to be told where you want it when in reverse around page 100 of the manual

·
Registered
2002 ml55
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you reprogrammed the mirrors the passenger mirror when in reverse does not just tilt to a factory preset.

It needs to be told where you want it when in reverse around page 100 of the manual
@wallyo I appreciate your help... i have tried reprogramming. I have tried reprogramming just the reverse ... i have also tried programming just the seat and mirror memory <-- the only thing that will program now is the seat memory alone.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,532 Posts
Thanks for clarification on that.

I looked at how the wiring is on a diagram for a 2001 ml ( which may be different then an 02) I had on hand. I only see drivers and passager seat memory I do not see the memory for the mirrors.

But if you can adjust the mirrors at the console switch the motors should still adjust the mirrors via memory. So my best guess is it is a module problem the computer is not driving the motors to make the adjustment

·
Registered
2002 ml55
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
... my best guess is it is a module problem the computer is not driving the motors to make the adjustment
how can i check that ? I am assuming it would be the AAM module? or would if be some other module ?

·
Registered
2002 ml55
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SOLVED: I ended up taking the front right fender off ... and took out the door connector (much easier to work with that way since i have audio wire going to a crossover in the door... and also... i need to remind any spiders that no place is safe for them around my car ;) )

FOUND: bent pins...exactly where I predicted them to be bent in the passenger door connector. What I was trying to find out is whether only 1 side could be causing a memory problem for both mirrors... and that was indeed the case. apparently the system is in one circuit (both mirrors)

thanks @wallyo for trying to help out

1 - 15 of 15 Posts