Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2001 E430 4Matic
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

I ordered and installed all the parts for the handsfree system- An Autosense PSE, a fiber-optic cable to loop into with the CD changer, and a V60 cradle with the BT adapter. I’ve installed it all, and I put it before the CD changer in the loop as per the MB install guidelines. My changer still functions after the install, so I know my D2B loop is working alright.

I put the PSE in the trunk, but I did not get the Y cable that splits the 25 pin to a 25 pin + compensator connector - my Tele-Aid system was removed by a PO so the compensator cable wouldn’t have anything to connect to, and the 25 pin connector still seems to plug into the PSE just fine. However, my cradle doesn’t seem to get any power, even though it is plugged into the pre-wiring. The V60 BT puck never lights up, and I’m not sure if it is because the PSE is not version coded into the system or if there is something else amiss (i.e. perhaps that Y cable does matter after all). The RJ50 modular plug looks clean and the cable to the cradle doesn’t have any obvious defects.

I read a lot of posts before attempting this install, but I can’t recall any mentioning if the cradle should still get power before the version coding is completed. All the parts were said to be working by their respective sellers. Any advice on this matter is appreciated, as I’d want to return any defective parts as soon as I can as this wasn’t a cheap project. Also of note, the car never had any phone system installed prior and I did not choose to order the Vonce Recognition Module.

I tried to make everything clear here, but I explained something poorly please let me know and I’ll elaborate promptly. Any help is appreciated, I won’t have it at my local mechanic for version coding until next week.

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,088 Posts
there used to be two Experts flying around the US and Europe performing OEM
retrofits: Steve/Netherlands and Sunil Patel. both were forem members. over
time, they became less visible and may have transitioned to other activities.

they could install retractable door mirrors to US cars, rig Designo seats to place
of standard seats, Commands etc etc. and they traveled around with bona fide,
up-to-date administrative equipped Mercedes SDS.

I was fortunate enough to have Sunil fly in from Houston to Seattle and make a
quick stop at my place just to install Designo seats and configure the pneumatic
system equipment pump...performing all the handshaking. the last I heard, he
was working out of a MB Houston location...while also getting a PhD. :)

hopefully you can track them down through searching, or find someone equally
skilled and knowledgeable with the D2B fiber ring setup and sequence

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
3,653 Posts
Do you have a fuse in slot #15 in the rear fuse box, by PSE?

·
Registered
2001 E430 4Matic
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

Yes, I've read some of their posts... It's a shame that they've faded considerably, though they will only become more needed as time goes on.

Do you have a fuse in slot #15 in the rear fuse box, by PSE?
Yes, both in the engine compartment and in the rear seat. Is it possible I've missed another somewhere? Even though according to the wiring diagram, the power for that plug should be coming from the PSE. The PSE does function at a bare minimum, hence the completion of my fiber loop.

·
Registered
2001 E430 4Matic
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've looked at the wiring diagram in the MB phone manual and that Y-cable switches 2 pins in the DB25 connector, both of which are part of the wiring that goes to the 10-pin modular RJ50 jack for the cradle. The pins are MANUAL TEST and BATT FEEDBACK, I'm unsure if this is the cause of the problem but I found the cable cheaply and ordered it to test. IT will arrive before my version-coding appointment next week. Considering that all other pins (including the EXT POWER and GRND pings) are still mapped correctly without the Y cable, I'm not all that hopeful.

·
Registered
2001 E430 4Matic
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got the Y-cable and installed it... no problems with everything fitting, but it still appears that there is no power to the console/puck. I'm going to try powering the puck with a V60 to USB cable I have to see if it powers on at all. Does anyone have any other ideas as far as troubleshooting/checking things?

·
3,653 Posts
Well, in my experience you do need to get power to whatever new module you're retrofitting to the car before programming/coding for the new part.

Maybe check to see if the cradle itself is working to begin with?

·
Registered
2001 E430 4Matic
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, in my experience you do need to get power to whatever new module you're retrofitting to the car before programming/coding for the new part.

Maybe check to see if the cradle itself is working to begin with?
Well the PSE itself seems get power and work because my D2B loop is completed; my CD changer works fine. From my understanding of D2B, if the PSE is faulty it would cause errors in my loop. When I checked the fuses there was a 7.5A fuse in 15 under the rear seat as well.

I don't really have [know of] any way to test the cradle to make sure that the cable isn't to blame- the V60 cradle was pretty tough to find and this one was advertised as working.

I feel that the coding won't be a problem asincd it seems the PSE works, but as my puck won't power on in the cradle I am left wondering if the cradle is supposed to get power before the version coding is done. I would think so, hence my concern about this. But I could be wrong on many things, so narrowing down what component is broken is an alternative goal I suppose, so I could return it.

·
3,653 Posts
If you have access to a power probe like this

Then you could test the wires going to the cradle to see if the power is coming there or not.

There's another two or three fuses in the front SAM and the little fuse box by the light switch that also contribute power to the teleaid, but I think you have them, since they also supply power to other modules and you're not complaining about those issues yet.

·
Registered
2001 E430 4Matic
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you have access to a power probe like this

View attachment 2620852

Then you could test the wires going to the cradle to see if the power is coming there or not.

There's another two or three fuses in the front SAM and the little fuse box by the light switch that also contribute power to the teleaid, but I think you have them, since they also supply power to other modules and you're not complaining about those issues yet.
I have one of these in my toolkit -would this suffice?

The SAM fuse box you mentioned, would that be the one in the engine compartment on the drivers side? I’ll double check for fuses in both. I know my tele aid system was removed after it was defunct because when I opened the trunk panel I did not see the teleaid box nor an antenna compensator of any sort, so perhaps some fuses were removed in the process.

You may need to "add" a fuse to a fuse holder.
i have checked fuses once already, but will do so again today.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
298 Posts

they could install retractable door mirrors to US cars, rig Designo seats to place
of standard seats, Commands etc etc. and they traveled around with bona fide,
up-to-date administrative equipped Mercedes SDS.

I was fortunate enough to have Sunil fly in from Houston to Seattle and make a
quick stop at my place just to install Designo seats and configure the pneumatic
system equipment pump...performing all the handshaking. the last I heard, he
was working out of a MB Houston location...while also getting a PhD. :)

hopefully you can track them down through searching, or find someone equally
skilled and knowledgeable with the D2B fiber ring setup and sequence
Sunil sold his shop in Houston several years ago. He may have resumed practicing medicine.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
298 Posts
Well the PSE itself seems get power and work because my D2B loop is completed; my CD changer works fine. From my understanding of D2B, if the PSE is faulty it would cause errors in my loop. When I checked the fuses there was a 7.5A fuse in 15 under the rear seat as well.
e
I don't really have [know of] any way to test the cradle to make sure that the cable isn't to blame- the V60 cradle was pretty tough to find and this one was advertised as working.

I feel that the coding won't be a problem asincd it seems the PSE works, but as my puck won't power on in the cradle I am left wondering if the cradle is supposed to get power before the version coding is done. I would think so, hence my concern about this. But I could be wrong on many things, so narrowing down what component is broken is an alternative goal I suppose, so I could return it.
I am presuming you are coding your IC and COMAND and the D2B ring? There is a specific order the ring must be coded, regardless of the physical layout of the ring.

·
Registered
2001 E430 4Matic
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I am presuming you are coding your IC and COMAND and the D2B ring? There is a specific order the ring must be coded, regardless of the physical layout of the ring.
I am going to have the car version coded to accept the PSE in the D2B loop, but it isn’t the issue- I know how it must be laid out physically and I made sure the components (CD changer, PSE) are in the correct order. I have the version coding instructions that my local mechanic will use when doing the version coding for me.

@Mb15s63

I ask where you sourced your V60 cradle? I have one and my COMAND now says Phone not recognized.
I got it on EBay, they are very tough to find nowadays- I am very disappointed that this one is not working... see below

Update: I used the tool I pictured in a previous post to test the cradle’s power. Pin 3 (the EXT PPOWER pin according to the MB pinouts) does show that there is power when testing the pre-wired plug in the center console. However, when I plug in the cradle and test the appropriate red wire (I opened the cradle and tested the red wire directly as there is an internal plug) there is no indication of power 99% of the time. I did once get a reading, but I couldn’t get again so I think there is some damage to the wire that I cannot see that is preventing a continuous connection. When I test Pin#3 in the V60 plug, there is also no power (to be expected if the wire does not work). This also means I have no way of testing the included BT adapter, but as those are much easier to find I will just request to the seller to return the entire unit. Looks like I’ll have to go back on the hunt for a cradle.

I suppose it wouldn’t be reasonably difficult to bypass the red wire along the length of the cord to provide the power, but at the price I paid I would want it to be working without any issues.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
298 Posts
I am going to have the car version coded to accept the PSE in the D2B loop, but it isn’t the issue- I know how it must be laid out physically and I made sure the components (CD changer, PSE) are in the correct order. I have the version coding instructions that my local mechanic will use when doing the version coding for me.

I got it on EBay, they are very tough to find nowadays- I am very disappointed that this one is not working... see below

Update: I used the tool I pictured in a previous post to test the cradle’s power. Pin 3 (the EXT PPOWER pin according to the MB pinouts) does show that there is power when testing the pre-wired plug in the center console. However, when I plug in the cradle and test the appropriate red wire (I opened the cradle and tested the red wire directly as there is an internal plug) there is no indication of power 99% of the time. I did once get a reading, but I couldn’t get again so I think there is some damage to the wire that I cannot see that is preventing a continuous connection. When I test Pin#3 in the V60 plug, there is also no power (to be expected if the wire does not work). This also means I have no way of testing the included BT adapter, but as those are much easier to find I will just request to the seller to return the entire unit. Looks like I’ll have to go back on the hunt for a cradle.

I suppose it wouldn’t be reasonably difficult to bypass the red wire along the length of the cord to provide the power, but at the price I paid I would want it to be working without any issues.
The coiled wire seems to wear first, so it is likely it has sustained wear. Do you have COMAND in your car?

Please see these documents that may be of assistance. Pay special attention to the fact the D2B ring must be coded logically according to the document vs. the physical layout.

https://resources.mbdx.us/files/pdf/MB_Phone_Manual_v4.6.pdf

https://resources.mbdx.us/files/pdf/P-I-82.64_141A_July_2002_Phone Bulletin.pdf

·
Registered
2001 E430 4Matic
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The coiled wire seems to wear first, so it is likely it has sustained wear. Do you have COMAND in your car?

Please see these documents that may be of assistance. Pay special attention to the fact the D2B ring must be coded logically according to the document vs. the physical layout.

https://resources.mbdx.us/files/pdf/MB_Phone_Manual_v4.6.pdf

https://resources.mbdx.us/files/pdf/P-I-82.64_141A_July_2002_Phone Bulletin.pdf
it would seem that coil wear may be the case. The seller got in touch with me and was very kind- he is sending another cradle for me to try.

I have read those documents already, they were of great help when I was doing this last week. Nonetheless, I appreciate your effort to help.

I believe that the way I have the D2B physical layout is correct: Radio > Phone > CD changer > back to Radio. If I am mistaken, please do correct me. And it seems as though the version coding should not affect my console cradle‘s ability to power up. The documents seem to support this, they do not seem to mention them being physical installed in any other order. Also, I do not have the Comand system (thankfully)

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
298 Posts
I agree that the coding should not change the fact it does not power up to the best of my knowledge. I still use a CDMA V60 with the linear compensator in mine, and it receives SMS messages and never drops a call. Do you think the seller could source another V60 cradle with coil?

I have a V60s in my W210 and a V710 in my W221, which is notorious for dropping calls due to the IR resistant glass. With the integrated handsets, that is no longer a concern. I also had one in my W211 E320 CDI, and you could compose SMS message on it while driving! (Which I did not do,, of course.)

I would only recommend following the flowchart when configuring the D2B ring in the document, regardless of the physical layout of the ring. It states that in the documentation, and is the best way to ensure a trouble-free experience.

In the MB Phone Manual 4.6, there are some pins that elude to changing the ESN of the phone, which is illegal on most countries and is not an issue since you are using it as a pathway to Bluetooth. My 2001 210.082 is a one owner and actually came with the last available navigation CD-ROMs in addition to being upgraded to DTA (Digital Tele-Aid)!

·
Registered
2001 E430 4Matic
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree that the coding should not change the fact it does not power up to the best of my knowledge. I still use a CDMA V60 with the linear compensator in mine, and it receives SMS messages and never drops a call. Do you think the seller could source another V60 cradle with coil?

I have a V60s in my W210 and a V710 in my W221, which is notorious for dropping calls due to the IR resistant glass. With the integrated handsets, that is no longer a concern. I also had one in my W211 E320 CDI, and you could compose SMS message on it while driving! (Which I did not do,, of course.)

I would only recommend following the flowchart when configuring the D2B ring in the document, regardless of the physical layout of the ring. It states that in the documentation, and is the best way to ensure a trouble-free experience.

In the MB Phone Manual 4.6, there are some pins that elude to changing the ESN of the phone, which is illegal on most countries and is not an issue since you are using it as a pathway to Bluetooth. My 2001 210.082 is a one owner and actually came with the last available navigation CD-ROMs in addition to being upgraded to DTA (Digital Tele-Aid)!
I will bear that D2B information in mind, that would explain why it worked no matter the order I had them plugged in (CD changer worked regardless)

Unfortunately he doesn't have any more aside from these two, but perhaps he knows someone who does have some more stocked away somewhere. I can reach out for you. Though, if you already have one cradle why would you need another?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts