Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an SLK 230 with 140k (Yeah I know) and just the other day I lost the ability to accerate correctly and my check engine light came on shortly after. Right now I have two codes:

DTC P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
DTC P0803 1-4 Upshift (Skip Shift) Solenoid Control Circuit Malfunction

I think P0301 is a sparkplug wire because i had this problem before and I replaced the sparkplugs and switched a wire and the problem went away for a while. P0803 worries me espially since I can't really drive the car any more (I almost got in an accident pulling out of Autozone because it didn't accelerate/shift into third.

My question is, What is a Solenoid Control Circuit? Does it require extensive knowledge to replace it? I paid 8k for the car a few months ago I think I might fix it and eBay it, unless it is more cost effective to just eBay it as-is.

Thanks,

Nick

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same problem couple of days ago same exact symptoms, but in my case did not get a chance to get codes.I have a 99 slk230 sport,lost total acceleration, did some research on the net, found out to be the MAF or AMM, bought one from dealer, now car runs fine again.Just got lucky!!

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bazzle said:
Soundslike its gone into limp mode (handbook(
MAF is a possibility as stated.

Clean MAF 1st to prove fault maybe?

BAzzle

I read another quick article and it said it was realtively easy DIY and about $120. But the problem is I don't know what or where it is. How would one clean it. Also I found that by shifting it "manually" it drives MUCH better.

P.S. Wasn't the 1998 SLK 230 only available in automatic?

Thanks Again,

NZ ;)

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
NZ87 said:
P.S. Wasn't the 1998 SLK 230 only available in automatic?

NZ ;)
Yes, in the United States that would be correct, not so sure in other locations.
Please put your location, year, and model in your avitar, it makes answering questions a lot easier..... :)
The MAF is in the intake manifold close to the intercooler. Be careful with it, as it is very delicate.

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
919 Posts
NZ87 said:
Wasn't the 1998 SLK 230 only available in automatic?
Much like many backward marketing decisions, only in North America. It was available with a manual transmission from day one elsewhere. It took years of begging from owners to get the manual transmission to come to the States, and then it was that mushy cable-driven linkage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts