Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
Unimog 404.1 Diesel (sold :( )1995 LMTV 1078
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this in my collection of parts and pieces to add as the rebuild begun.

Want to offer it to you guys first before Exchange.

Pretty sure it's a 2 speed.

How do I check to ensure?

·
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bought this three years ago, now cant recall if it is a 2spd or 4sd. Any advice on how to tell the difference. I do not want to list this improperly

·
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
duhhhh.... came across those when I was price shopping to get some sense of their money value. Stupid me didnt look with the thought of helping to identify differences between 2spd & 4spd.

Here is what I see now:

2speed- there is two big shaft/gears that have a large non machined area.

4 speed- only one shaft/gear with a large area non machined

Another way to say it is:

2 speed the center shaft/gear has a large area that is not machined and two gears
4 speed the center shaft is fully machined with numerous gears

Attachments

·
72 Haflinger: 75 Pinzgauer 2.7i, 94 & 96 350GDT
1,659 Posts
Just a question for those that may know - since there is a lot of talk about the crawlers being weak.
I can see from the photos posted above that the 4 speed (lower photo) has smaller diameter shafts) than the 2 speed.
I have a 2 speed set and it also has the smaller diameter shafts.
My set also has the side housing like the lower photo (with the 2 openings vs 1 opening).
Perhaps this could be the 'weak' link?
Perhaps some 2 speeds like mine have the smaller diameter shaft and some have the larger shafts like the top photo?
Then again - it could just be the photos??

(ps - sorry to hijack your for sale post but there is no $ on it yet:) )

Also - why do you think the other mounting hole is there in 1 set and not the other - would that be to fit a different Mog?
Thx

·
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, mines a 2speed. Just got out to my property to pick it up. Still in the Box Ziggy and Lisa sent it to me in.

·
Registered
Unimogs
861 Posts
The crawlers do not like shock loads or high RPM's. After doing Post Failure inspections on 3 crawlers that failed, I would actually be more comfortable with a crawler with the smaller shafts. The locations that we see failure are usually the cast "horse shoes" that hold the shafts on the top of the crawler box casting. With the larger shafts, this casting is much thinner. With the smaller shafts there is a good bit more material/strength.

Cheers,

Scott Ingham

techMOGogy said:
Just a question for those that may know - since there is a lot of talk about the crawlers being weak. I can see from the photos posted above that the 4 speed (lower photo) has smaller diameter shafts) than the 2 speed.

·
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
... After doing Post Failure inspections on 3 crawlers that failed, I would actually be more comfortable with a crawler with the smaller shafts. The locations that we see failure are usually the cast "horse shoes" ... With the smaller shafts there is a good bit more material/strength.....
Thanx for that info Scott.

Was there a manufactures design change along the way somewhere? For example mine is a 2speed. It has a case like the 4 speed above. It also has SMALLer SHAFTS/more meaty "horseshoes" than the 2speed pictured above that has a different case.

·
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ziggy and lisa seem to have the better/average prices on these. They sell them with shipping to US for around 1200- matters where you live. I figure whom ever offers closest to this amount (save yourself money, yet helps me out too) will be whom gets this set

If I was not facing trying to avoid bankruptcy I would look at it more like first come first serve. Life is different right now though.

I have about 4 folk who have asked same question thru PM's and email who all have this same info. So ya'll make offers, then I'll complete the arrangements and get this set off in the mail to the buyer.

·
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got a message straight from Z&L

With ship it still sits around 1200 from them to US. the 4 speed is more but mine is a 2speed

Someone make an offer I can't refuse.

·
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
got a few offers and will close this soon. Speak up now or forever hold your piece

1 - 14 of 14 Posts