Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am trying to figure out what is happenning to the A/C system in my w210 E300D turbodiesel 1999. This morning I turn on the car , open the hood and did my regular check at the engine. I noticed a small amount of smoke coming out behind the left side assembly headlight. (kind like when there an electrical problem/burn...?) Immediately, I shut off the engine and the little smoke went away (was a windy morning..). Turn on the engine again, no smoke them I went to work. On my way back from work I turn on the A/C but was not cooling. Notice the A/C compressor was not turning on. I got the fowolling readinds from the A/C control.

1-85
2-82
3-83
4-83
5-85
6-169
7-00
8-100

also got code b1 416 = Coolant circulation pump.

Where is this pump located?

I know the system do not have freon because # 7 reads 00

Do any of the friends here knows where is this pump located on the E300D 1999 w210? can it be a direct relashionship between this pump and the lost of freon? I am planning in add some freon (before I will gauge the freon presion from the port inside engine compartment) Any suggestions to target this issue properly?
I like my car very much. Love driving it.

Thanks for the help

Pedrodiesel

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
The coolant recirc pump you can ignore, it's engine coolant and sits ahead of the passenger fenderwell. It is used with the REST function on HVAC and is unrelated to your AC puking.

I think the "smoke" you saw was actually refrigerant venting to the atmosphere, which correlates to you having no pressure for the diagnostic result. It's possible it came from a connection to the condenser or maybe even the front seal on the compressor and the fan moved it enough that you thought it was nearer the headlight.

In any car, I'd get a can of refrigerant with leak detector dye in it and instill it to the system; it sounds like the leak is bad enough you won't even need to start the car, and the pressure in the can should be enough to show the leak.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
There is a high pressure refrigerant line that comes from the receiver dryer to the expansion valve in the firewall. This line has a crimped union from pipe to hose, located right behind the head lamp. You can determine if this is the point of the leak by removing the headlamp assembly. Once the headlamp is removed you will see oil in the proximity of the leak, FYI the smoke you saw was not smoke it was the oil and R134a escaping under pressure causing the oil to vaporize and look like smoke.

You have a massive leak, to try and add R134a is a waste as it will leak out as fast as you can put it in.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply Yacht master and check codes !

I will check that Yacht master !
I understand you are refering to the right side headlight assembly right ?

Thanks

Pedrodiesel

1 - 4 of 4 Posts