Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The warranty on my 2006 ML500 expires in about six months. So I took it to the dealership to have them go over bumper-to-bumper to check for leaks or anything they could find to repair while still under warranty. They found and fixed a lot of things, but one of the most interesting was a software update for the transmission.

I have always been quite satisfied with the shifting. I guess I thought a slight surge from a standing stop and being able to feel the shifting was acceptable considering the that the vehicle was 4WD, had a stiffer suspension, and a fairly powerful engine.

The dealership actually did two software updates (one for the transmission and one for the engine control module). The resulting difference is incredible. My ML shifts almost as smoothly as the Lexus I bought for my daughter (which is the smoothest I have ever personally experienced). Huge difference!

I encourage all to have your dealer check your software next time you take your ML in for service.

·
Registered
305 Posts
The warranty on my 2006 ML500 expires in about six months. So I took it to the dealership to have them go over bumper-to-bumper to check for leaks or anything they could find to repair while still under warranty. They found and fixed a lot of things, but one of the most interesting was a software update for the transmission.

I have always been quite satisfied with the shifting. I guess I thought a slight surge from a standing stop and being able to feel the shifting was acceptable considering the that the vehicle was 4WD, had a stiffer suspension, and a fairly powerful engine.

The dealership actually did two software updates (one for the transmission and one for the engine control module). The resulting difference is incredible. My ML shifts almost as smoothly as the Lexus I bought for my daughter (which is the smoothest I have ever personally experienced). Huge difference!

I encourage all to have your dealer check your software next time you take your ML in for service.

what does your paper work show as the software versions?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My paperwork only says "Checked for transmission software update. Found update available. Performed software update."

Same for engine control module software. Also says something about coding and SCN coding. No version numbers are listed. Sorry

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had quite the opposite outcome - after transmission software upgrade on 2006 ML500, shifting from 1-2 and 2-1 became more uncomfortable and jerky, so the dealer had to replace the valve and to change the oil and the filter in the transmission, all under warranty. I was told that their protocol for transmission complaints is to upgrade software first and only after that do any mechanical intervention. The shifting is better, although still not perfect.

·
Registered
556 Posts
In general software updates don't do anything except clear your old driving habits...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts