Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1998 sl500
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiii there!!!!

I have recently opened my soft top on 560 sl 1988 and seems like windows stitches are coming of from some place. any body have any suggestions how to fix it back? any simple options? any glu or something would help??? thanks in advance...

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,510 Posts
Hiii there!!!!

I have recently opened my soft top on 560 sl 1988 and seems like windows stitches are coming of from some place. any body have any suggestions how to fix it back? any simple options? any glu or something would help??? thanks in advance...
Pics please.

·
Registered
2005 SLK350, 91 300SL with Pano Top, 04 S500, 2015 Tesla Model S
2,085 Posts
Glue won't help. It will be only temporary and will look ugly. You will have to re-stitch the affected seam. The proper way is to take off the top and get it done at a pro place. If only a small stitch, you can do it painfully by hand. You'll have to get a stitching needle with thread roll and wooden handle attached. They are available at Arts and Craft stores.

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,338 Posts
Glue won't help. It will be only temporary and will look ugly. You will have to re-stitch the affected seam. The proper way is to take off the top and get it done at a pro place. If only a small stitch, you can do it painfully by hand. You'll have to get a stitching needle with thread roll and wooden handle attached. They are available at Arts and Craft stores.
A canvas shop, upholsterer or sailmaker should be able to do it for you. That would be best route and hopefully they will do it in place by hand. Cost should be minimal compared with removing top!

It would be good to first use an adhesive/sealer to hold window in place and seal it. Not sure what would be best considering one side is fabric, the other vinyl - maybe some Goop carefully applied? Then as mentioned above, you will need an Awl. Boating supply shops have them. Something like this one

This assumes the top is not torn - just needs restitching.

·
Registered
82 380SL 96 SL500 03 SL500
6,164 Posts
Sadly, though you might get window patched, your top is probably on borrowed time. :crybaby2:

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,510 Posts
Glue won't help. It will be only temporary and will look ugly.
You sound very knowledgeable on the subject, Mr. Elbe.

Cough.

·
Registered
87 560SL
292 Posts
Flexible contact adhesive (from Home Depot) will do a temporary fix. But you gotta start thinking of a new one, or at least an off-car repair.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts