Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2006 CLK500
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As title says soft top will not go down all the way. It opens up and goes almost all the way back and down and just before closing the trunk cover it beeps and the "please close trunk partition" comes on on the MFD. So all I can do is close the top again.

I pull the luggage cover all the way back and it works once to open and close and the next try is not successful. After my last failed attempt I pulled the Benz into the garage and a little later pulled it back out and without doing anything in the trunk, the top worked fine for once and then acted out again?????

Seems like something is wrong with that luggage cover switch or what it is called. Anything I can check?

Thanks

Rene

·
Registered
2008 CLK550 Cab
402 Posts
You probably need new gas struts that hold the trunk partition in place. It probably is not staying tight against the switch because the struts are weak.

·
Registered
2006 CLK500
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would make sense as whenever I check again the cover moved just slightly forward disengaging from the switch.

Are those easy to replace?

·
Registered
2006 CLK500
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks simple enough besides having to remove the liner to access the bottom part of the strut. It has following number on there Q2A2096900059 but I cannot find much on Google with that number.

What is the correct part number? Anybody sells them besides the dealer?

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,447 Posts
The part number is A2096900059. You can find it at parts.com for about $32. It's part #19 here:

parts.com

·
Registered
2006 CLK500
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ordered the parts over the weekend and they arrived today Wednesday. Very simple to replace those two struts and no need to pull the liner away.

One strut was completely gone with no resistance either way. Looks like one of them was replaced before and had some more grease at the ball fits where they are mounted. It was in better shape but still not as strong as the new ones.

The luggage cover is now firmly pressed to the back for the switch to stay engaged.:thumbsup:

Now on order the SmartTop for the better half's birthday:D

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,447 Posts
You are going to LOVE the SmartTop - you will wonder how you every lived without it! ;) FYI, the installation instructions are pretty good. There is a step where you have to do a trial and error test of a dozen wires on the CAN bus junction module. I started on the end as directed and my bus wire was the last one. So, if you start at one end and that's not it, work from the other end (I know this might not make sense, but it will when you get to that step).

·
Registered
2006 CLK500
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, yes I know what you mean. I had already looked at the instructions online and figured it's pretty straight forward.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts