Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
SL 500 1996
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello Gents,

has anyone replaced this weatherstrip/seal on the softop? i want to replace it with new one the the old ones flocked,

regards

·
Registered
Mercedes 300SL-24 R129
67 Posts
i didnt get as far as to replace mine...
I had planned to replace mine a few years back but the cost put me off. Theyre around £150.00 each, so £600 to replace the 4 pieces that surround both windows. (sides and top). Mine look exactly like yours, quite rough looking. I tried looking for aftermarket seals but couldnt find anything suitable.

·
Registered
SL 500 1996
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i didnt get as far as to replace mine...
I had planned to replace mine a few years back but the cost put me off. Theyre around £150.00 each, so £600 to replace the 4 pieces that surround both windows. (sides and top). Mine look exactly like yours, quite rough looking. I tried looking for aftermarket seals but couldnt find anything suitable.

·
Registered
SL 500 1996
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
only genuine seals available. I think to remove them and get them flocked, it would cost me about €15 each so only fraction of the price but how easy is to remove and refit them ? :unsure:

·
Registered
1998 SL500
37 Posts
I recently replaced both sides. There is a YouTube video of a guy that sells the side tension cables. First thing he shows is how to remove those weather strips. They just pullout if I recall and then when you get to the top, you have to open the top to about a 45 degree angle and wiggle it out. Installing the new one required a little gummy pflege product and a plastic interior tool to position it.

·
Registered
1998 SL500
37 Posts

Hope this link worked. He shows how to replace the side tension cables but he has to remove the weatherstrip first. I had to replace both my cables and ended up replacing the weatherstrip because the felt was Mostly gone.

·
Registered
SL 500 1996
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Lumpy2, that very useful info. BTW this tension cable could a cause of rear latches not locking unless I push it down? rear section seems to be very tight since new cloth fitted

·
Registered
1998 SL500
37 Posts
Seems possible gustav20. It is pretty easy to adjust the tension to see if it helps. Mine is just snug enough like the video but it's the original top. The sides of my top were flapping around a bit at highway speeds until I replaced both broken cables

·
Registered
SL 500 1996
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Seems possible gustav20. It is pretty easy to adjust the tension to see if it helps. Mine is just snug enough like the video but it's the original top. The sides of my top were flapping around a bit at highway speeds until I replaced both broken cables
ill give it a go and loose them a bit

1 - 12 of 12 Posts