Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1991 300SL
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of getting my top back in shape. I replaced the hydraulics and purchased a new top all with the help from my Benzworld friends. I took my car to my local shop today to price out any additional broken/rotted out top parts that I may need. The two back cables on either side of the large rear window are broken as are the two cables that go along the bottom of either side at the base. The cables along the upper part are just plain gone (suspect they were not replaced when the last top was replaced before I bought the car 10 yrs ago). The fabric that has elastic and connects to the webbing is rotted. Estimate for these 6 cables and two elastic gizmos is about $1000! My shop suggested that I post here first to see if anyone has found cheaper alternatives. I wonder about buying some coated cable and rebuilding using the retained ends. Any ideas? I don't want to replace the top without the cables since I suspect they help to fold the pieces as they go down. Plus, the rear window cables get covered up in the glue process.

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
12,182 Posts
Try the marine/boat riggers. They should be pretty good in spicing wire ropes and cables.

·
Registered
MB SL600, MB 380SE, Suzuki Grand Vitara, 38' Chris-Craft, Volvo V70XC, and my own two feet...
4,131 Posts
I spent $800 on new cables. You could buy some cable and clamps and try making them
You're kidding? On an '01? How'd they break? Aren't they metal?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts