Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
clk350
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looked at the tool roll again, I'm missing the soft top emercency lift tool. (Open end wrench one side, long handle, hex key in other)

anybody got one they want to sell?

Anybody have the MB part number for it in case I can't find one?

Thanks

·
Registered
'97 SL500 & '01 ML320
286 Posts
Sorry I don't have one to sell but can help you with the MB part no.

It's a Handbetatigaung Verdeck (Hand-operated Top) - part # 129-581-00-66 .

Cheers

Alan

·
Registered
clk350
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Simple little tool that it is, was surprised to find it so cheap. It's an $11 item when you find one

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
ahmorris said:
Sorry I don't have one to sell but can help you with the MB part no.

It's a Handbetatigaung Verdeck (Hand-operated Top) - part # 129-581-00-66 .

Cheers

Alan
soft top wrench p/n # 1295810066 price $19.94 w/ S&H at Parts.com

See picture of R129 tool kit , p/n 1295800003 for $184.16 w/ S&H at Parts.com at Parts.com with the soft top compartment wrench located as the third tool from the left. Check eBay for better pricing.

Attachments

·
Registered
1992 SL-300
4 Posts
I realy need that soft top tool. I have searched everywhere any tips.
Handbetatigaung Verdeck (Hand-operated Top) - part # 129-581-00-66

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
I realy need that soft top tool. I have searched everywhere any tips.
Handbetatigaung Verdeck (Hand-operated Top) - part # 129-581-00-66
$9.06 for p/n 1295810066 at Parts.com

Note: they changed there ground shipping costs to read, "Shipping Costs: No more than 15% of total order or a minimum of $10.99 and a maximum of $50.00 * does not apply to large component items, see chart below for freight charges on these items."

This means that any total order under $73.33 will be charged a minimum of $10.99. So be smart and order over that amount in order to save.

·
Registered
96 SL500, 97 E420,
1,098 Posts
If all you need is that wrench how much will shipping be?

I bought one for $11-$12 at the dealer a couple of years ago.

Hey Lynn what is that small plastic part for?

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,000 Posts
The white plastic thing is the fuse puller.

·
Registered
1992 SL-300
4 Posts
-+ Thanks, I ordered the part $9.99, however $11 shipping and $2 handeling. This top has driven me crazy, I took the entire controller and cleaned and lubricated every electro mechanical relay. Put it back togrther and nothing. Put the top up manually and used the switch just to klatch the windshield and it began working both up and down. Today, nothing. I am trading this thing for a corvette with a manual top!!

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,000 Posts
It may be cheaper to just drive over to buy it from the Dealer. It may cost more but save on shipping. On the other hand, the saving will only buy you 2 gal of gas.

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
It may be cheaper to just drive over to buy it from the Dealer. It may cost more but save on shipping. On the other hand, the saving will only buy you 2 gal of gas.
Quite honestly most dealers don't sell them individually. They will sell you the whole set of tools for $139.00.

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,371 Posts
To whom it may consern.
Well I was doing the rear brakes and tried to put back the wheels I had a hard time
centering them.
The front are easier.
I couldn't find that centering pin tool.
So I went in my garage cut a 1/2 x 4" threaded rod.
We use it in construction to suspend pipes etc, re thread both sides about 1/2" with a 12x1.50 mm, and I made a home made tool.
performanceproducts sells this tool made out of brass for $29
If you need to make one it can be done practically for nothing.
I made two of them just in case I lose one.

Regards.
aam.

·
Registered
'91 500SL, '92 300E, '65 Mustang
305 Posts
Just got back from the Stealership. I see that in 2007 the soft top tool open end wrench/allen was $12 or so. Just purchasing it today, it was MSRP at $26.xx, but was discounted down to $20.
Just updating.
After examing the tool, it really isnt hard to make one. In my case was desperate, so it was worth the $20.

·
Registered
'03 SL Kleemann, 1997 SL320 Pano Top, Tesla Model X
661 Posts
in case of emergency

For those of you who read this while stuck in some kind of soft top emergency without a soft top tool, you can use an Allen wrench and a 10-mm open wrench, or even pliers, to get out of trouble.

The Allen wrench for the front locks is 6 mm. You will probably need to put some extension on a regular Allen wrench to lock or unlock the front locks (for leverage).

The 10-mm open wrench is used on the tonneau cover locks and on the rear locks.

Some detail on the tonneau lock(s): your emergency 10-mm wrench needs to be fairly long to reach the tonneau lock actuator between the roll bar and the soft top storage compartment wall. Frankly, in an emergency I have used long pliers before and was simply very careful not to damage the vinyl/leather while sliding the pliers down there. MY '97 and up have only one tonneau cover lock (on the right side). The MB parts list says that the transition to a single lock happened starting with chassis # 97252. That would be late MY 94. I believe it actually started with MY 1997.

Some detail on the rear locks: MY '97 and up have rear locks without official owner access for manual operation. These locks have smaller levers for manual operation, and there are no access holes in the forward, carpeted trunk panel. You can still manually lock and unlock these locks by removing a few clips from the upper panel corners, pulling back these corners, and using the soft top tool or an open 10-mm wrench to move the levers on the locks.

I have posted some more details and photos about manual operation of late model rear locks in the following thread: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/1547958-my-95-up-manual-rear-rst.html#post4380896

Hope this helps,

-Klaus

·
Registered
1997 SL 500 w/Pano, 1999 CLK 320
598 Posts
I have the bag and the soft top tool but some of the other pieces are missing as seen in the first photo.
They look like wrenches, a screwdriver and something I can't ID.
Can someone provide an inventory of the items...and pn if applicable.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts