Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1996 S-500 white
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soft Top Jerks Open On Right Side Front ?
I Was Told At The Dealer That That Was Normal , He Said The Left Side Opens First Then The Right Side, But I Don't Thank That He Is Right .

It's Like The Right Side Hangs Up , But The Pins At Latch Are Dead Center Of The Locking Latch.

Can Someone Shed Some Light On This Problem
Thank You
Harley03joe :Smoker:

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
12,967 Posts
May be there is a slight delay of the hydraulic pressure ? Does the hydraulic line serves the left side first before going to the right side cylinder ?

·
Premium Member
1996 S-500 white
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
May be there is a slight delay of the hydraulic pressure ? Does the hydraulic line serves the left side first before going to the right side cylinder ?
I Have No Idea, I Just Don't Think That It Is Right , Thats All I Know

Thanks

Joe :Smoker:

·
Registered
300SL (103)
104 Posts
Joe,
The stealer is right. When the soft top is up, it releases from the head rail left first then right. You will notice that when it locks, it locks both simultaneously. This presumably is because doing them both together places more demand on the hydraulics, effectively halving the pressure available in each cyinder. And yes, it opens with a huge pop.

·
Registered
MB SL600, MB 380SE, Suzuki Grand Vitara, 38' Chris-Craft, Volvo V70XC, and my own two feet...
4,131 Posts
Mine lets one side go first, then the other. I think that is normal.

·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6 (SOLD) 2012 E 350CDI Cabrio 265 PS
4,546 Posts
Mine was the same too and I've always considered it normal. I actually loved that loud pop that sometimes scared people but probably I have mental problems lol.

Cheers.

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
12,967 Posts
May be the soft top is under tension, so when the latches were released, it springs up with a loud 'pop'. Latching it down is quieter as it is being pulled down (against the tension).

·
Registered
2007 CLS 550, 1998 Harley Road King, 2011 F-150 EcoBoost, '65 Shelby Cobra
978 Posts
I have the same symptom. Left starts and then the right releases with a significant "pop" sound. When the top is placed back in the closed position it seems to all go together without the loud "pop".
This is normal on all R129's. Don't worry, be happy! When it stops popping and the little red top starts blinking, then be worried!:cool:

·
Premium Member
1996 S-500 white
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I Want To THANK ALL YOU GUYS For All The Good Answers That I Wanted To Hear, Now I Feel Better 100% Better
I Sure Do Love This Benzworld.org Forum, And I Love All You Guys Also
My Brother SL Owners
"WITH MANY WE CAN OVERCOME"
"WITH FEW WE CAN GET SO LOST" :p
But With This Forum And You Very Smart Folks I Can Keep My Car Running Like A TOP Thank You :p

THANK YOU ALL AGAIN
Joe :Smoker:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.