Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1992 SL500
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched through all the soft top threads and I can't seem to find the answer to the following problem.

How do you adjust the front locking pins on the soft top so that they come down exactly in the middle of the locks. Mine miss by just a tiny bit. If I reach up and pull the top over just a tiny amount then they latch just fine and all is right.

I am guessing that the adjustment is actually at the back in the hinge area someplace. Maybe a turn buckle or adjustable clevis rod or something. But I can't see exactly what to do. The top needs to be a few mm further towards the passenger side when it first contacts the top of the windshield frame.

Any help, or point me to a thread I may have missed in my searches, gratefully received.

Thanks

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,371 Posts
There you go....

First measure the distance between the hard top and the windshield seal.
It should be about 6mm.

If its not.
Lift the top put a rubber mallet between the top and windshield.
Take a marker.
Mark around the two locks, located in front of the hardtop.
To adjust loosen the screws, move the locks to the right direction.

Moving the lock forward gives you more room to the front.
Moving backwards, tightens the seal.

Do small adjustments. ;)

Regards,
aam.

·
Registered
'03 SL Kleemann, 1997 SL320 Pano Top, Tesla Model X
661 Posts
Just adding a photo...

Thanks, Albert (aam)!

I'm just adding a picture here, to make things even easier to understand. Didn't have a rubber mallet handy, so a bottle of our favorite top hydraulic fluid ZH-M had to suffice... ;)

It takes a star wrench or socket to unscrew the prongs that need to be moved, and I think that's a T-25.

-Klaus

[email protected]

Attachments

·
Registered
1992 SL500
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lock adjustment

That makes total sense. I was looking in the wrong place totally.

Thanks for the posts and the pics.

·
Registered
2005 CLK500 black,2012 E350
391 Posts
After replacing the front locks(oil leak) with Klaus rebuilt units-
top would come down- but not engage & lock.
Had to push the top toward middle of car with left hand-- then locked.

Had to adjust the left front prong-

Klaus referred me to this forum message--
adjusted the prong about 1/16" to the right and everything now works fine.

What a great asset in having Klaus help.

(Was a coincidence with the front lock replacement.)

As was the right rear not locking when I was testing the system and getting air out---

again Klaus recommended removing the lock mechanism--

found the nut had fallen off the cylinder shaft

the leaking cylinder had been replaced two years ago by a dealer-- the piston shaft nut was off-- apparently the dealer hadn';t properly tightened the nut.

·
Registered
92 sl500
26 Posts
my locks work at windshield the tonneau cover and at rear for the hard top. nothing else works.tonneau won't come up. none of the other cylinders seem to work. no leaks and fluid is at proper level. any ideas?

·
Registered
91 500SL 37k,90 300SE sold, 91 300E sold , 92 300E137k ,02 Kia Sedona ,I know..... its a Mini van.
8,119 Posts
my locks work at windshield the tonneau cover and at rear for the hard top. nothing else works.tonneau won't come up. none of the other cylinders seem to work. no leaks and fluid is at proper level. any ideas?
Check codes.

·
Registered
2005 CLK500 black,2012 E350
391 Posts
start over-

put soft top up or down- manually if necessary-

in up position-the back latches dont latch manually-

disconnect battery for 30 minutes-

reconnect battery

try again-

not sure if the 92 requires a sync with the windows-

if so-- hold up buttons for 8 sec-- not 2 in the manual.

·
Registered
03 SL Kleemann, 97 SL320, 95 E320 cab, Tesla X, Ferrari 360, etc
949 Posts
Please start a new thread

noogie 01,

your front locks appear to be working and latching properly. This thread is part of the "stickies" (archived threads sorted by subject), and it is about the adjustment of the front locks. If there are many well-meaning answers posted to your question on a different subject, then future readers for the original subject of this post will get confused and frustrated. With this in mind, would you mind starting a new thread? Just click on this link: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=31

This sounds like an electrical problem. In your new post, please do not spare us any details about what exactly is and is not working in the opening and closing sequence, and what kind of work may have been done to the top recently. More information helps us so that we can help you more quickly.

Klaus

Top Hydraulics | Rebuilt and Upgraded Convertible Top Cylinders, Pumps, Hydraulic Lines - Top Hydraulics, Inc

·
Registered
92 sl500
26 Posts
the top was removed from the car with all the frame work. the canvas was removed and reinstalled. the roof controller was sent to bba to be repaired. they could not repair so i purchased a used one. installed it and manually locked the top in place closed. went to put the top down and the door windows went down, tonneau cover unlocked, front windshield unlocked and as the frame at the back started up it appeared to get up on drivers side about 5" and still down, but not locked on the passenger side. it almost seemed when i hit the button to lower again that one side wanted to go up and the other side wanted to go down. i helped it up almost vertical and hit the button and the tonneau cover popped up. that was as far as it got.i checked fluid in pump and added some. the top locks and unlocks on the windshield and the rear with the switch. the tonneau unlocks but does not come up on it's own. i have only got it to come up one time on it's own. i notice when i am trying to get the back locks to lock that the tonneau on passenger side tries to go down further but is already locked. i have cleared codes 10, 11, 20, 26.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts