Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1988 560sl
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to replace the soft top cover seal on my 560. any suggestions on removing it. seems to be glued in............

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,355 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Which seal are you wanting to replace? There are several.

Please fill in your profile with year and model plus location. When you have time.

·
Registered
1988 560sl
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply and the welcome. this seal or gasket is not on the soft top. it is the gasket that the soft top cover or lid closes on. Thank you for any advise you might have.

·
R/C107 Moderator
32,355 Posts
The "This Damned Old Car" AKA EGV107 sticky at the top of the page is a wealth of info.
In there is a link to the Mercedes EPC (Electonics Parts Catalogue). It is free to US residents. Need a credit card number to veirufy residence only.

EPC-net Online

The Part Number for the seal you want is 107 758 01 98. On this one I would use OEM. Dealer retail $122.00// Here 83.95. Auto Parts - Parts.com, For Every Part of Your Life
There was a recent price increase that the y may not reflect.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1979 280sl 4 sp w/ac 1957 MGA 1998 volvo xc/70 2004 F150
6,050 Posts
Phil, welcome, scroll down to similar threads and you will see some similar threads.

·
R/C107 Moderator
32,355 Posts
I keep forgetting that Pete. Good point.
There is also an Annapolis Dealer website with discount pricing but I don't have it on this computer.

·
Registered
300sl 1987
748 Posts
Hi,

I did this job a couple of months ago. It's difficult, unconfortable, etc take planty of time to do it.

The seal is glued and at both ends it's pried by the rail. Removing is a bitch as it tears when you pull leaving you wondering how to get it out then. The glue is super-strong so get some plastic or wooden thing you can use to slide under it to cut the glue and get some leverage, then you can pull out. I used also a wooden piece I would hammer against the rail to open it up. Little by little and lots of patience there, it will tear into a million bits due to aging.

Once is out you will notice rust, specially at both ends. Here you have to fix that by either adding material or using some rust-converter depending on how serious it is etc. Then paint.

Now the difficult bit: The seal simply doesn't want to fit in there. I can't imagine how the hell they got it so damn nice in there at factory. Anyway, do at least 3 rehersals without glue/rail prying so you get a feel as to which is the best way to proceed and see if it seats nicely in place.

Now start looking for some glue to do the job as the workshop manuals mention nothing about this job. I went for a Pattex product that withstands vibrations, moist & water, etc.

Protect the neighbouring area in case some glue drips, it's not onto the paintwork. Install, glue and rubber-hammer the rail at both ends to pry the seal. I had to do this process twice to get a decent looking seal even after several dry-test-runs.

BTW, a friend got it done at the dealer and it's not better than mine besides they didn't fix the rust. Sometimes the headache pays off if you do it yourself.

Regars and let me know any questions.

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,340 Posts
Just did a search for that number and RM came up with an aftermarket part:
Mercedes Weatherstrip For Convertible Top Case Cover 1077580198 - RM European Auto Parts

I just had a bad experience witb URO (although I had used their seals elsewhere).

I ordered new seals for my 300D sunroof from a well known on-line vendor. I asked two key questions. Are the parts in stock and are they OEM. Despite receiving Yesses on both accounts, neither was true.

The parts took 3 weeks to get here, one likely having to be obtained from a warehouse on the other side of the country,and the key front seal was not OEM it was a Uro. This seal is awful. It is deformed and I see no way that it can be installed. The other two parts were likely OEM although no packaging or numbers to show that. I won't quote vendors name seeing that he has promised to send me a replacement OE seal at no cost.

I was told by another MB parts vendor that all independent parts suppliers have been cut off by MB - Only MB dealers can sell OE parts, but some of them will still fortunately discount.

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,355 Posts
I just replaced my OEM seal with one from URO, which I chose on price ($20 vs $1M).
I got it installed and it will keep things dry but it was a bad decision.
It is ill-fitting and needs to be trimmed at the hinges. The OEM piece is a snug fit which could likely be left unglued; the URO fits like a prick in a shirt sleeve, and gluing it in is a messy job.
Also, the URO has a cheesy flocked coating where the OEM seal has cloth. It won't take long to tear there, a problem even with the more robust OEM seal.

I must admit I was warned, by Scottinsocal no less, who is unlikely to see this confession. Small mercies.

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,355 Posts
I just had an idea....

I think I will glue a piece of roof canvas on the seal where it gets abraded by the top when it folds into the boot. That should be even more robust than the cloth on the OEM seal.

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,340 Posts
I just had an idea....

I think I will glue a piece of roof canvas on the seal where it gets abraded by the top when it folds into the boot. That should be even more robust than the cloth on the OEM seal.
Is that the area where someone suggested using a cut off plastic jug to help guide the top into place? Haven't checked, but it might have been in the how to fold your top thread.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I just ordered this seal and it will be here Thursday. I was planning this out in my head and was thinking what could be involved then I read this upon a search. Holy crap. My original seal is good for 70% of it, just started to shred a bit on the sides and turning white. I thought it would be a simple replacement until I read this thread.

Looks like I need to find a better fix then to pull the OEM seal out....!!!

·
Registered
1983 380SL
16 Posts
I was told to soak the seals in hot water before installing and when installing spray a small amount of a 50/50 mix of water and dish soap.

mb380

·
Registered
1988 560 SL
652 Posts
I'm changing my convertible top, getting seats, Carpet, etc
Wow!

I'm planning on having my seats recovered in January, and am debating whether I want to have the carpets replaced at the same time. On the one hand, I'd like to have it done; on the other it's another chunk of change.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts