Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As a result of an increasing number of questions here about W209 cabriolet soft top operation problems, I have posted a full circuit diagram of the connections to the Soft Top Control Unit. (N52)

This should assist anyone looking at the operation of the many limit switches that control the open/close operation.

The diagram is supplied with a legend that defines every item that is routed to N52 via connectors. The limit switches all feed in via connector 1.

I have noted that generally one side (pin 1) of each limit switch is wired to earth (chassis) and the other side (pin 2) goes directly to N52. So it is staightforward to disconnect Connector 1 at N52 and then to use a test meter to measure continuity to earth from the relevant pin at N52 when manually operating the limit switch. This will confirm both a good earth connection, and also a good contact at the switch.

Note that there is also a change shown at date 06/2006 where S84/13 pin 3 is routed to N52 conn 1 pin 44 via the contacts of S84/23.

I hope it helps. :)

Note - please read my post #54 for an additional comment.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Interesting.

60 visits to the thread, but only 10 have bothered to look at the drawing. :confused:

Maybe pdf is not the best way to present this information? Maybe everone cannot read this format? I think that, as the .pdf image can be zoomed, it is the best way to present this type of information. Please advise me if I am incorrect here.

·
BenzWorld Elitist
Mercedes-Benz
11,490 Posts
Interesting.

60 visits to the thread, but only 10 have bothered to look at the drawing. :confused:
It makes sense to me: 60 people were interested enough to click on your thread and 1 out of 6 of them have a clear and present need/desire to get into the details.

Anyway I'll be linking this to the General Maintenance sticky so thanks for posting it!

·
Registered
'03 SL Kleemann, 1997 SL320 Pano Top, Tesla Model X
661 Posts
pdf is great

Interesting.

Maybe pdf is not the best way to present this information? Maybe everone cannot read this format? I think that, as the .pdf image can be zoomed, it is the best way to present this type of information. Please advise me if I am incorrect here.
keyhole,

I think what you are doing is excellent. Having ten people actually look at the pdf within a few days is good in my book, because most casual readers wouldn't bother yet. They will look once they need it, and then it will come in handy!

Thank you and keep up the great work,

-Klaus

[email protected]

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
18,972 Posts
I think many people are just scared by wiring diagrams. :)

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL... your'e possibly right. They're like bread & butter to me...:)

There is such a wealth of information there. Wire colors, connector numbers, fuse and switch details, etc. And you can try to figure out how things work, which is the most important thing...

·
Registered
w126 300SD 1981 - Vito W638 108 CDI 2000 - W209 CLK cabrio 2003
152 Posts
@keyhole. I am going to use that pdf file you put onto the forum 2 years ago. I can use it now. But first I have to find out the whereabouts of the N52 control module in the W209 CLK from 2004. I know where this module is located in a SLK R171 and in a W208. But where is it located in the W209 ? :D

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thanks keyhole.

Will work on the car today.

Problem: roof won't open. Rollbar is already down. (cannot raise the rollbar).
Windows open with the soft top button. And then nothing else happens.

I have checked for error codes with SDS.
Current and stored codes are:
B1928
B1923

Both have something to do with the compartment cover. The limit switches.
B1928: check Limit switch S84/13s and/or S84/23
B1923: check limit switch S84/22.

So I will try and find out where they are located and see if I can erase the current codes.

And I have seen on the forum a picture of a broken plastic hinge (?)(sorry I am dutch and do not know the exact word).

See picture of my broken hinge. Would this be part of the problem ?

Attachments

·
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
18,972 Posts
That broken part of the hinge would likely not cause any problems. It's just a plastic arm that is there to lock and hold the cover in the fully upright position when servicing the hydraulics. Without it, the only problem is that the cover will have to be propped open if the hydraulic cylinders are removed for service. My advice is to completely cut off that broken plastic arm so that it does not interfere with the hinge.

Here are diagrams for the switches you are looking for:

http://benzbits.com/w209/soft_top/s84-13.pdf
http://benzbits.com/w209/soft_top/s84-23.pdf
http://benzbits.com/w209/soft_top/s84-22.pdf

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For the benefit of others looking for location details of the 8 limit switches used to control the open/close of the W209 soft top, see rudeney's post on this thread:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w209-clk-class/1677185-convertible-top-does-not-open.html#post5527380

To checkout if any limit switch is faulty, (without removing it from the car)you can use a testmeter on its lowest ohms range for a continuity test. Remove N52 connector 1, and do your measurements on the cable free end. As can be seen on the circuit diagram, one side of the limit switch is taken to ground. The other side goes to a specific pin on the connector. Manual operation of the switch should show a short-circuit to ground on the meter.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thanks for that, rudeney. I can use that for sure.

But first I would have to open the soft top, or better say: lowering the soft top. I have read your comment about lowering the top : Follow the instructions in the owner's manual for raising the top manually. Lowering it is pretty much the same, just the opposite function (except you still open the hydraulic valves first).

But is there no other way to lower the top ?
There was no toolkit in the car anymore, so I cannot use the straps the manual is talking about. I can use some other stuff, but is this really the only way to lower the soft top?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Good stuff, keyhole and rudeney. I will print the files and use it.

Thanks.

·
18,972 Posts
The tools are nothing special. The one for unlocking the top at the windshield is just an Allen wrench. The straps are just flat nylon, about an inch wide. You could use anything strong enough that also fits between the closed trunk lid and soft top cover. And it does need to be strong - those hinges and the hydraulic struts will give a lot of resistance. You really do need to a helper because both hinges need to be pulled on simultaneously. If it just seems way too hard to pull, an alternative is to disconnect the hydraulic struts. Below is a diagram of what they look like with the cover open. With it closed, you have to look behind the carpeted panels on the side of the trunk. The blue arrow points at a clip you can snap away, then let it pivot on the green arrow, than the strut just comes loose.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I spend the whole afternoon trying to open the soft top compartment the way mentioned before. Turn the bolt on the hydr. pump counterclockwise and put some straps around the plastic hinges. The way it was shown on some pictures.
No way the compartment cover lid is moving !?!?:eek:

And i cannot recognize the thing as shown on your last picture.

I add a picture of my hydr pump and all the things around it. Can you recognize something that looks like the picture of the hydr. struts from rudeney ? please help.

Attachments

·
18,972 Posts
This black vertical thing is the strut - follow it to the top and you'll find where it connects to the cover - unlatch it from there (and then do the same on the other side).

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thanks for helping me, but I cannot see anything that I can unlatch, except for 1 thing. Here are some pictures to show you what is on top of the strut for what I can see. The third picture shows the plastic thing I could unlatch a bit, but I am not sure this is what you mean.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 54 Posts