Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'd require a new top. I want something that fits well, re wind noise and is durable. Any recommended suppliers?

Same for the sun visors...

Regards,

Laverda

·
Forum Administrator , RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
1981 380SL 151K: 2005 S500 116K
39,219 Posts
laverda said:
Hello all,

I'd require a new top. I want something that fits well, re wind noise and is durable. Any recommended suppliers?

Same for the sun visors...

Regards,

Laverda
Sun visors...yeah. Some guy in Southern Cal was gonna find a cheap set in a boneyard for me once. Wonder whatever happened to that guy? Yeah.

Honestly, I'm afraid to buy a set now. At $800 to replace them, I'd be afraid to park the car with the top down like I do now. Can you imagine if the junkies knew their value? They'd be slicing the soft top, grabbing the visors and leaving the radios!

"Psst...wanna buy a set of 107 visors, cheap?"

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,303 Posts
Performanceproducts4benz.com sell visors for about $100, but they lack the vanity mirror.

·
Forum Administrator , RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
1981 380SL 151K: 2005 S500 116K
39,219 Posts
dugald said:
Performanceproducts4benz.com sell visors for about $100, but they lack the vanity mirror.
dug,

That's for the covers only and you supply your original hardware. I have nothing but empty sockets.

·
Registered
2001 SLK320, 2001 C320
2,267 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for the information...

I've done a bit more research...

Tops.
It seems that there are a few big manufacturers like Robbins, EZ Top, etc, and very many resellers who claim that the tops are theirs, of the highest quality, bla bla bla. Would somebody know the quality of the manufacturers themselves? What about the fabrics? Either they're all claimed to be better one than the other or the most expensive one is claimed to be the best. As we all know that is very much not necessarely the case.

I'm a boat guy, I import-export sailboats mostly, and know boat fabrics like Sunbrella pretty well. Many boat equipment providers claim to use Sunbrella, but there are different qualities of it, and it shows not when new but after a couple of years.

So what I want to know is: does somebody know who makes the best aftermarket top?

Sunvisors:
Who manufactures sunvisors?
Are some better than others?
Did anybody buy the stuff advertised on the internet? Is it OK?
The upholstery shop in Miami seems to build a good product, thanks for the info.

Laverda

·
Registered
1987 560SL Gone but not forgotten! & 1999 SL500 For Now
745 Posts
laverda said:
Thank you all for the information...

I've done a bit more research...

Tops.
It seems that there are a few big manufacturers like Robbins, EZ Top, etc, and very many resellers who claim that the tops are theirs, of the highest quality, bla bla bla. Would somebody know the quality of the manufacturers themselves? What about the fabrics? Either they're all claimed to be better one than the other or the most expensive one is claimed to be the best. As we all know that is very much not necessarely the case.

I'm a boat guy, I import-export sailboats mostly, and know boat fabrics like Sunbrella pretty well. Many boat equipment providers claim to use Sunbrella, but there are different qualities of it, and it shows not when new but after a couple of years.

So what I want to know is: does somebody know who makes the best aftermarket top?

Sunvisors:
Who manufactures sunvisors?
Are some better than others?
Did anybody buy the stuff advertised on the internet? Is it OK?
The upholstery shop in Miami seems to build a good product, thanks for the info.

Laverda
Laverda,

In doing your research, you may have already looked at the Haartz site for the similarity and differences in the top materials. Haartz is one of, if not the largest manufacturers of the top materials that go into our cars. If you haven't read up on this particular manufacturer...

The Haartz Corporation - Cloth Convertible Topping

I think you'll find it valuable. Their product is the one used by the top manufacturers you listed.

Your other concerns seem to be centered around type for your car, quality construction, and price.

The 107's came originally with German Canvas, the highest priced material and alledged longevity. Frankly, it's the one I have on my car as the color I wanted, Light Tan, is only available in the high priced spread...lucky me.

Many have opted for the Twillfast material as it so closely compares to the German Canvas and is in general $50-$100 lower in cost.

As far as the manufacturers go, I'll only comment on the one I've used, Quality Tops and Interiors in Los Angeles. Family owned business that has been around for 20+ years, doing MB tops, leather and Tex seat replacement kits, carpets, etc. I like them because of the quality of construction, sewing, double reinforced seams, etc. + my installer found it easy to fit to my old frame. Install cost in FL was $340 + the top.

IMO the thing that makes the difference in the top manufacture since all are using the same basic raw material is the accuracy of the pattern to cut the material, the quality of the sewing and thread type used in the stitching, i.e. attention to detail, and customer service before and after sale. For all these reasons, plus low purchase price (under $400) Quality Tops and Interiors made the choice easy.

I don't think their website is finished yet, but if you want to contact the owner, John, you can reach him via email at [email protected] , or by phone at 818-766-9511. If you need a local installer to work with, mention that to John as his company supplies most of the good shops in the country and he can refer you. I'd also check with him on your visor questions...don't know if he does these, but if not, he can guide you to who does. Good Luck, post how you make out-

Bob

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
Digmenow said:
Sun visors...yeah. Some guy in Southern Cal was gonna find a cheap set in a boneyard for me once. Wonder whatever happened to that guy? Yeah.
His dog died suddenly and unexpectedly, and he's having a hell of a time holding it together. But he's still looking.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts