Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Benz ML500
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 ML500 and absolutely love it but some things just get me really angry. there is this spongelike material at the rear wheels that attracts dirt and leaves/grass. I tried spraying shredded leaves off but they are just sticking to the spongelike material at the rear wheels. Why did mercedes even bother to put such a material at the rear wheels? My 2006 ML500 is the only car i have seen this material on. Dirt and leaves stick to it and it sucks trying to take it off! Please HELP!

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2000 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
2,915 Posts
I have an 06 ML500 and absolutely love it but some things just get me really angry. there is this spongelike material at the rear wheels that attracts dirt and leaves/grass. I tried spraying shredded leaves off but they are just sticking to the spongelike material at the rear wheels. Why did mercedes even bother to put such a material at the rear wheels? My 2006 ML500 is the only car i have seen this material on. Dirt and leaves stick to it and it sucks trying to take it off! Please HELP!
I feel your pain. My 05 C230K has them also. Wonder if moisture will get trapped behind and if rust will become a problem in the future.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It's part of the overall strategy to keep the ride quiet inside the passenger compartment.

You might try using a lint roller or strips of duct tape -- never tried it, but it might work.

·
Registered
2005 230 Kompressor
341 Posts
Yes, the fiber-foam wheel insulation is designed to deaden sound but it does collect road debris because the fabric strands act like a sponge.

You might also consider compressed air or leaf blower to remove some of the unwanted materials. Just be sure it is not abrasive stuff like small rocks,etc as it could dislodge and damage the paint. If that is the case then a adhesive medium kind of like a lint brush or stiff bristle brush should do the trick.

I use one of my stiff poly-strand wheel brushes (looks like a boot brush, low with a long profile to reach tight areas), on each wheel housing prior to washing to help dislodge any leaves, etc the might be caught in the fabric if needed. The remainder I then spray off with the hose when cleaning the wheel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts