Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can the soft/hardtop warning beep be disabled on a 1998 SL500? Also, where does one find a search function for this forum? Thanks.

·
Registered
1992 500SL, 1993 300SE, 1997 S320L, 2000 C230K, 2003 E500, 2005 Smart ForFour, 2008 Smart ForTwo
315 Posts
Why disable it? Why not fix the issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Because it's a feature that I don't need. I never use the soft top and repairing the unit seems like a reasonably long, expensive and involved procedure.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
39,386 Posts
Because it's a feature that I don't need. I never use the soft top and repairing the unit seems like a reasonably long, expensive and involved procedure.
The forum has just had a platform/software change.
Some of the search and other functions are not yet, or only partially in place (guess we are the beta test). In the meantime, typing Mercedes R129 and the issue into your browser (google etc), will get you relevant threads from the archives of benzworld and others.
Cheers

·
Outstanding Contributor
'03 SL500, '03 SL55, '97 SL320, (2) '91 300SL, (2) '91 500SL, '00 S500 -- all for sale
4,181 Posts
...repairing the unit seems like a reasonably long, expensive and involved procedure.
Likely it's much easier and less expensive than you believe.

At this point I won't explain how to disable the warning beep, because it's too easy to silence it by determining which of the four roof latches is not secure. If you want help proceeding along these lines instead of disabling the beep, I will give more detail.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Bob,
Yes, I would like to find out how to check which of the roof latches isn't secured. Please send me the information.
Thanks,
Harry

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Likely it's much easier and less expensive than you believe.

At this point I won't explain how to disable the warning beep, because it's too easy to silence it by determining which of the four roof latches is not secure. If you want help proceeding along these lines instead of disabling the beep, I will give more detail.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi,
I've removed the hardtop and still get the warning signal. Then I opened and locked the hatch cover and repositioned the soft top. Still an alarm.
Someone worked on the top before I bought the car and the soft top frame had been damaged(bent). Besides the bent frame, the hydraulic cylinders appear to have been leaking.
Since I'm quite content driving the car with the hardtop, could you please suggest some way to disconnect the annoying beep. The four corners of the hardtop are definitely locking.
Thanks in advance for your advice,
Harry T.

·
Outstanding Contributor
'03 SL500, '03 SL55, '97 SL320, (2) '91 300SL, (2) '91 500SL, '00 S500 -- all for sale
4,181 Posts
The following applies to a car manufactured in January '94 or later.

Remove the larger of the two electrical connectors to the roof controller located in the storage area behind the left seat. A diagram of that connectors sockets is attached.

With the soft top closed, use a multimeter to check which roof latch limit switches are closed. The following connector sockets should measure just an ohm or less to chassis ground: 7, 11, 28, 30, 45.
N52 Connector 2.JPG

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi bobterry99,
Tested the roof controller connector sockets and got the following readings:
Connector 7 0.4 Ohms
" 11 0.0 "
" 28 0.7 "
" 30 0.0 "
" 45 0.8 "
Doesn't that mean all four corners are secured? Unplugging the connector stopped the warning signal, however it also prevents the windows from operating. Is there some way for disabling just the roof warning signal?
Many thanks for your assistance.
Harry

·
Registered
2000 SL500
281 Posts
Just curious what does socket 29 and socket 8 measure? Socket 29 is the soft top closed reed switch (S84/4) over the windshield. If there's a problem with this switch the front locks shouldn't lock as the top closes(soft top, not sure about the hardtop) but if the front locks were manually closed I'm wondering if there's still an issue with this switch. Socket 8 is the "closed" switch in the rear left lock, it should be closed (0 ohms) when the soft top is up or hardtop pin is sitting in the rear lock or locked down. I don't know if these two switches would cause the warning signal or not but am curious of the status of these two switches since it appears the front and rear locks switches are all closed as expected when the top is up or hardtop is on.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Swany,
The hardtop was put on manually. Socket 8 reads 0.8 - 1.0 Ohms and socket 29 reads infinite resistance. The front locks are really tight. The light does not go out while tightening them with the tool. So it seems that it might not be an issue with the front locks not being fully closed.
Since I don't use the softtop, I'm wondering if there isn't a way to disable the top alarm. That would solve my problem.
Thanks,
Harry

·
Registered
2000 SL500
281 Posts
For the alarm to be sounding it would make sense if one of the switches is not in the correct state. I would expect it would have been one of the front or rear locks not in the correct state but it appears all are okay. Bob is the expert and may be able to provide what else could cause the alarm to be going off. Attached is the expected switch status for all switches when the hard top is locked in place.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, Swany, for this information and also for the attachment to your previous post. It will be very useful in troubleshooting this problem further. I'll post any results.
Harry

·
Registered
2000 SL500
281 Posts
Based on the switch results you've measured they all look as expected with hardtop in place and locked down. The table I attached shows voltages so 0V means the switch is closed and ~12V when open. From the table all switches except the soft top closed switch and compartment cover up switch should be closed when the HT is locked down and it looks like that's what you've measured. I think the only switch you haven't looked at is socket 26 the compartment cover up switch. The soft top closed switch isn't closed with the hardtop because it appears there's no magnet in the hardtop.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Swany,
I retested the following sockets for voltage: 4, 7, 8,11, 26, 28, 29, 30, 44, 45, and 46. They all came in at 0 or a few mv. None were anywhere near 1 volt.
(Previously, at Bob's suggestion I had measured and reported the resistance at the sockets.) Since I have no use for the convertible softtop, it still seems that one solution would be to disconnect the audible top alarm, if that's possible without affecting windows and such.
Thanks for your help,
Harry

1 - 17 of 17 Posts