Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm baffled why my 20amp fuse keeps blowing after every 3 days and My soft closer, central locking fail. I have had a new PSE pump fitten in January on my s class w220 and this has only recently started I can't figure out why. Can some one please help solve this problem.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,979 Posts
You may have a leak somewhere in the system - doors, trunk, seat backs - and the pump overloads trying to keep up. The fuse blows to protect the pump.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response, so the leak is in the vacuum pump your suggesting, am I right to say that?

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,979 Posts
No; because you recently replaced the pump, it is likely in the soft close mechanism in one of the doors; in the trunk closer mechanism; or in a lumbar support in one of the front seats. Listen carefully for hissing when the pump is operating.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right thanks for that I think it's my front passenger door every time some one gets in the front the fuse blows up after words. I will have it checked up and let you know if it problem fixes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right thanks for that I think it's my front passenger door every time some one gets in the front the fuse blows up after words. I will have it checked up and let you know if it problem fixes.
Had it checked up but mechanic cant find out why it blows the fuse there is no leak in the system. I don't think it's the door I have my doubt on the automatic door lock when I drive of some time it dosnt lock and blows the fuse

·
Registered
08 ml320 cdi,slk 230,01 boxster S,04 carrera911, 99 S320,67 GT350mustang,02G500L,96 s600 w140
1,669 Posts
try to check the seat lumbar support. maybe its on. put it in (O)on your seat. this happened to me before and found out that i have a leak. i just turned it off and till now no problem

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes maybe your right I did try adusting that even though it dosnt work I'll put it back to 0 I think it's on 5 at the moment. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes maybe your right I did try adusting that even though it dosnt work I'll put it back to 0 I think it's on 5 at the moment. Thanks for the advice.
Still no joy have turned the lumber to zero but still fuse keep on blowing, any one out there who can offer help on this nightmare, I'm getting very frustrated changed 10 fuse already, the mechanic dosnt have a clue on what's causing this problem next best bet is the dealers, but they cost an arm and a leg.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm baffled why my 20amp fuse keeps blowing after every 3 days and My soft closer, central locking fail. I have had a new PSE pump fitten in January on my s class w220 and this has only recently started I can't figure out why. Can some one please help solve this problem.
I ran in to a same problem. In my case the soft close would work sometimes and sometimes the fuse would go out on me. After while it stopped working. I popped the PSE pump opened and found the motor locked. To my knowledge the board doesn't go bad it's the motor that start locking up.... Just open the pse pump place the new fuse in and see if the motor's locked. You can always pull the motor out and take it to a local electric shop and they can clean the motor and you're fine. My car has 162k and the motor was locked, ever since this shop cleaned the motor it works fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok guys found out why my central locking fuse kept on blowing for, it's the PSE pump mercedes main dealers are going to replace the pump lucky it was still under warranty. Problem sorted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My problem is with the soft close on the trunk (boot) lid. The soft close feature stops working. I then pull the yellow 20a fuse and reset it. The soft close feature starts working and does so for about an hour. Then the system fails again. I notice that only my lumbar seat support and the trunk lid soft close has problems. The other soft close door locks etc seem to work. Any suggestion? thanks

·
Registered
2003 S500
2,628 Posts
Yes - The first thing to do is to go to the encyclopedia at the top of the page ("START HERE") and spend some time reading the sections on the PSE system.

The first problem appears to be the typical broken trunk soft-close actuator, which can usually be repaired. The lumbar bladder is also a common failure point.

·
Registered
2003 s320 cdi facelift
12 Posts
puzzle for Skylaw :)

Hi everyone my name is Aleksandar i`m new to the forum. I have w220 ,2003 s320 cdi facelift model. I have problem with soft close on the doors, trunk works fine. Here is what we`ve done so far:

- Cheked for leaks and fixed all tinny leaks in all of the doors and trunk lid.
- Lock, unlock, lumbar suports, fuel cap lock, rear head restraints and trunk soft close are working fine with no air leaks or hissing sounds and no additional working time on the pump.
- I`ve put the PSE pump in another w220 and the power door assist works fine.

My conclusion: The PSE pump does not get information from the door(s) to activate -ve pressure (vacuum i think)
to close the door(s), altough interior lights are reacting when door oppens/closes.
I`ve readed other posts and I concluded that Skylaw has great knolage and this question is addresed to him especially.

Best regards.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,979 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Aleksandar_50.

Actually, the Encyclopedia is a compendium of what I consider the best contributions by our members; in fact, it is their knowledge, and not my own, that provides the benefit. They know far more than I do, and this is indeed one of the areas. I will have to punt this one to those experts.

·
Registered
2003 s320 cdi facelift
12 Posts
The Encyclopedia is great, but every problem whit PSE system is linked with air lickage or faulty pump. None has reported a problem like this. Everything works but still no soft close on the doors.

·
Registered
2006 S500 AMG Wifes Rig Hillbilly Girl 02 ML320
2,332 Posts
The trunk actuators are a know problem with these cars! They develop cracks and will def leak. JMO: but I think it may be from some folks slamming the trunk lid down. The actuator is just a form of plastic ! And you can take it from me they don't repair very good ! Been there done that !

Smokie

·
Registered
2003 s320 cdi facelift
12 Posts
The trunk actuators are a know problem with these cars! They develop cracks and will def leak. JMO: but I think it may be from some folks slamming the trunk lid down. The actuator is just a form of plastic ! And you can take it from me they don't repair very good ! Been there done that !

Smokie
Thanks for the replay Smokie, but as I mentioned I have no leaks now . The trunk actuator was cracked and I fixed it. I had tinny leaks on the rear door actuators, fixed them too. Now when I use anything linked to PSE pump it works perfect (fast and no hissing sounds annywhere). Allso when you restart the pump it will try to soft close a fiew times even if there are leaks before it turn off that funktion to self protect. Mine doesnt try at all. On anogher car works fine.
Btw nice amg you got there :smile

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,979 Posts
Is the PSE that is giving you a problem original to the car? You mention substituting it in another car, where it performs all functions.

PSEs are programmed for different models, and the locations of connections are also important. If the PSE is not original to the car, its programming may not be correct. If it has been substituted into another car and returned to the original one, the vacuum connections may not have been made in proper order. See Brian Rice's superb writeup in the pdf file at post 15, http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/1631298-does-my-s500-have-soft-self-2.html

After consulting the fuse diagrams for your car, I did not find any that are specific only to soft close; fuse 30 is obviously not giving you a problem, and the functions that have fusing seem to be working.

Regarding PMs on the topic, I am not a Mercedes technician, and I never had cause to troubleshoot my system. Those folks who have contributed to the W220 Encyclopedia have direct, hands-on experience (and some of then are techs). They will be able to help you more than I can on this topic.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts