Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Soes ANYONE know how to remove 190E front speakers?

3219 Views 4 Replies 1 Participant Last post by  Guest (MBNZ)
I need to replace the hopelessly blown and trashed front speakers in my '88 190E. I took the grilles off, and I can't figure out how they are secured to the dash. I've read every thread I can find in the forum archives, but have found no definitive answer. Does ANYONE know how to get these suckers out, short of a wrecking bar or cutting torch?
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
They have little clips on the back of them. Which are too strong to push with your fingers. The glove box side was easy, take the glove box out, you see the speaker is very accessable. That one is pretty straight forward. The driver's side one was more of a pain. I had to take the lower dash kick panel off and reach my hand up in there. I ripped the cone out of the speaker and tried sawing the speaker chassis and bending it w/ pliers. After bending it out of shape I got it out. Nice eh? Now be careful w/ that wire, because when I unplugged it, the car's side went down into the dash behind the instrument cluster. It took me 10 minutes to find that damn wire! It's like finding a needle in a stack of needles (nice quote from tom hanks in saving private ryan). Hope this helps!

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, so what would be a good replacement for the front speakers?

Okay...assuming I can get the drivers side speaker out, what would be a good replacement speaker to use, so that the clips would work and the grills go back on. The head unit is a Blaupunkt Houston. Thanks for the advice!!

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Okay, so what would be a good replacement for the front speakers?

I didn't secure them in. I just dropped them in and put the grills back on. No problems yet. I just put in some Pioneer 4's... but they aren't that good. I would recommend some infinity 4's. I need to put a crossover on the fronts because they distort really bad. I guess no matter what 4' you get it's still going to distort.<br> <br> Just get the best 4' speaker you can find in there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.