Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
A Few
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Early this morning I had to run some errands so on the way I decided to see how many S-Classes I can find driving around (w140 more specifically) and the results are pretty amazing.

7-8 w140's (one stop light had 3 w140's lined up, it almost had me in tears lol)
7 W220's
7 W221's (interesting note was 4 out of 7 were white, the other 3 diff color each)

For comparison, I only saw 1 E38 and 5 E65's (so 6 total).

Anybody want to share observations around their area? :)

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,649 Posts
I saw one in a 2 week period driving in Sydney' suburbs . There r not many here , i feel like a T-Rex when i drive mine around .

·
Registered
1994 S500 Sedan
1,214 Posts
got back from a run in atlantic beach. bay boulevard - ALONE - has: 6 221s, 3 220s, and 2 140s.

as for the 140s, 1 95 or 96 500 and 1 94 350 (the 350 was parked on the street and i peered in: still had an early 90s motorola microtac lite installed to the right of the center console (note i wrote lite, not elite). shocking! as for the 220s, all 3 were found on the south side of the street - the side without the waterfront homes. hmm...

as for the 221s, 2 had very nice original accessory wheels (similar in design to those shown on the 09 g550 facelift photos in current circulation), 1 shared a driveway with a brand new audi s8, and 2 were in the driveway of - lets just say - the home with the second greatest lot width (1 550, 1 600), AND i caught the owner as he was exiting the 550 and entering his home - most interesting of all - if law abiding, he has a carry permit, but not too much a of surprise considering my count of 3 motorized cameras, at least...

other notables: a home with a late 80s early 90s mulliner and a mid 80s aston, a home with an early early early nsx (possibly the first year? - great condition nonetheless). and there were some other exotics: a recent aston (1) and recent maseratis (2) - but nothing too 'special' - probably leased. generally, the combination i see most frequently is either a 220 500 or 221 550 and either current or prior gen escalade or esv.

·
Registered
1999 Mercedes Benz S320 Long Wheelbase.
544 Posts
I saw two W220s in my area today. They're by far the most common, they're actually not a whole lot of W140's. So I kinda feel outdated...

·
Registered
89 BMW E34 ///M20 525i
148 Posts
I HARDLY ever see any W140s here in Portland and the surrounding areas to the west. Most seem to be taken good care of, but the fact that there are so few is so much more appealing, I've never gotten the impression that people think they are "outdated". Yet, I can't say the same about Subaru wagons, or even the sports models, granola cars are rampant in Portland.

·
Registered
1994 S500 Sedan
1,214 Posts
also, if anyone was wondering, the 140s belonged to 'waterfront' homes. And, believe it or not, the home with the largest lot width had an 04/05 ls430 (dark metallic grey with the pearl black emblem kit - not too shabby) and a mini motor-home vw conversion van out front. though it should be noted that the ls430 predecessor was a 01/02 220 500 designo silver (which despite the name was really yellow/gold in color - not particularly attractive in my opinion). surprising to see the switch to lexus! in all, all of the mentioned vehicles are just the ones sitting in driveways - the garages could contain anything.

·
Premium Member
1996 S320 (Kuro) 1998 S600 (Weiss)
2,886 Posts
I'm certain I see more W221's than anyone each day - there's a Brabus/Lorinser/AMG dealer in front of my house :) Here's the view from the balcony...

·
Premium Member
1996 S320 (Kuro) 1998 S600 (Weiss)
2,886 Posts
Even worse - this is how they store the excess vehicles that won't fit on the lot...

·
Registered
89 BMW E34 ///M20 525i
148 Posts
wow if i was a potential customer I'd demand they invest on a freaking tarp covering for those or I wouldn't buy anything. Look at that, terrible way to treat such beautiful cars - you could mess with their business with those photos.

·
Registered
1994 S420
501 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Mercedes Benz S320 Long Wheelbase.
544 Posts
On the way home from work last night, I pulled up next to a W220 S55 and looked over and nodded at the gentleman driving the car, he returned the gesture with a smile and a wave. It's nice to have a sort of kinship like this with other owners of your model. :)

·
Registered
A Few
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Aside from the typical w140's that I still see driving around, last night was probably one of the best ones yet.

As I drive going to work, I spot a w140 driving from the other interstate that im about to merge with, so I decide to chase after them and as we drove side by side, I noticed they had the same exterior color(one tone black), same taillights and wheels('97-'99) as mine with the only exception that they had Xenon(maybe HID?) headlights and I had good ol' halogen :p

The passengers happen to be 2 young ladies(mid 20's or early 30's) and I decided to honk the horn and it didnt take very long for them to spot my car and as I wave at them nearing to my exit, they wave and smile back as they drove further on the freeway.

What made it special for me was we had similar cars(appearance-wise) and that I actually got pretty close to a w140 owner and manage to greet them. Most w140's that I see are either too occupied to look my direction or theyre one the other side of the road so theres no chance of me getting close to them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts