Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*thinking* about getting another 190 and dumping a... oh.... bigger MB motor in there. is it possible and which ones would fit? what kind of issues would i be facing?

figure a 190 with a blown motor is dirt cheap. pick up a motor a few grand (say $5K) and wedge it in there as a project car. wonder if a 500E motor (W124) would fit. the 124's aren't that much bigger then the 201's in the motor compartment, right?....

so.... what's the word and thought?

·
Registered
190e 2.3 widebody
94 Posts
You have some crazy ideas there my friend but its been done. See if you can contact carlsson tuning, they have fitted 5litre and 5.6 litre engines in 190e's in the past. if you have 5000 to spend then i suggest for you to look at your fellow benzworld members 2.6 litre 6 cylinder 5 speed for sale, one of the finest examples ive ever seen and going for a song in your price range, http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w201-190-e-d-class/1264690-fs-190e-2-6-5-speed.html. these things go really well and his is manual which is rare.
anyway here are some borrowed pics of one of the carlsson V8 190e cars, i would be inclined to go with a 380sec engine if you are to fit a V8 in a 190e. this will be no easy task but it can be done.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks!! what kind of engine is that!?!? looks like hell in there (like it was burried in mud). that's a 380SEC motor?

funny about that ad you linked. i looked at it and thought about it too. pretty sweet with a 5 but i don't think the 5 speed tranny in a benz is all that great so i'm planning on keeping it a slushbox. : (

i can't see how crazy this project could really be. if they can wedge a V8 into a 300E body, why not in a 190E body?

·
3phase-4pole
4,968 Posts
if you have $5k to burn, check with one of the members in 190Rev. he was selling a 2.5-16 engine sometime ago crated directly from germany

·
Registered
1985 190E 2.3 (Sold)
210 Posts
If sticking with strictly MB....300E, 400E, C36 AMG...etc. V8's will fit. Its been successfully done before. You will have to beef up the suspension and you will need all the electronics for the engine.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5 XT, 2012 CNG Civic
1,768 Posts
chivas228 said:
*thinking* about getting another 190 and dumping a... oh.... bigger MB motor in there. is it possible and which ones would fit? what kind of issues would i be facing?

figure a 190 with a blown motor is dirt cheap. pick up a motor a few grand (say $5K) and wedge it in there as a project car. wonder if a 500E motor (W124) would fit. the 124's aren't that much bigger then the 201's in the motor compartment, right?....

so.... what's the word and thought?
so... you want only MB engines right? Cheaper solution might be to go for the famous Ford 302 V8 from the Mustang. Fits well, easy to tune and to maintain and everybody can work on it. These conversions have been done as well....

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ruudje said:
so... you want only MB engines right? Cheaper solution might be to go for the famous Ford 302 V8 from the Mustang. Fits well, easy to tune and to maintain and everybody can work on it. These conversions have been done as well....
ooooo...... linkie linkie prease. :)

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
there should be some on this forum as well - just use the "search" option. For sure there is plenty to find on www.190revolution.net.

·
Registered
68 280 SEL, 89 300TE
906 Posts
for the money and time that would be involved I would just get a 400E or E420. you can find nice 400E's for cheap nowadays and it would be all factory and in a car that is more comfortable than a w201 but very similar. I think that you would be much happier then. Putting an american engine in german car is really lame, whereas putting german parts on american cars is a great idea... hmmm like the 300C.
Seriously, the 400E's are one of the best MBZ bargains out there, and that 4.2L quad cam v8 is amazing.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts

·
Registered
190e 2.3 widebody
94 Posts
Hi again, in response to the blue V8 190 pic i posted for your info, the engine fitted in that car is an all alloy 500 SEL engine. the 380SEC engine is a cast block, so the 5litre or 5.6 litre might be a better choice due to weight, and extra power, after all if you are to go to this trouble you may as well go the whole package with a big bore engine. yes i agree that example looks like hell, it hasnt been cared for and the conversion is more than 10 years old. those photos were of the car for sale in a classified magazine. i am also keen to do this conversion if i can find a suitable donor engine & gearbox. Good Luck

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
2,245 Posts
You will need to modify quite a bit, if you choose to go for a Quad cam V8. I seriously doubt that the engine of a 500E would fit right in, since mercedes had to widen the engine compartment of the basic 124 to fit it in there.
The M117 engines are relatively 'simple' to fit into the W201. They are not as wide at the top, and like Red_Benz said, the 500 and 560 are aluminium blocks, which makes them not much heavier than the 2.5turbodiesel which is found in the W201.
Most probable changes will have to be made to steering (i've heard the W202 steering system would work on the W201 in combination with the M117, with minor modifications), engine mounts (?), and ofcourse suspension and brake setup.
It's a doable job IF you have time, some money, and the needed Know-how.

good luck.

greetz,

matteus

1 - 14 of 14 Posts