Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
'77 6.9, 74 240D, 96 Ram 5.9L Cummins
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was just leaving Coalinga from the Harris Ranch restaurant in the central valley heading 5 South. I felt a horrible shaking in the rear of the car at which point the left rear tire exploded and I quickly merged over to get out of the way of all the semis. I made it to the side of the road and called AAA. After an hour I got a 29 mile ride to Lost Hills where I had Enrique install a nice off brand tire for $85. At that point I had a nice order of Jack in the Box chicken strips.

So yeah, the wagon too is a victim of bad Firestone tires!

Attachments

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,022 Posts
How many miles did you get out of the tire, and how old was it?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No idea but for all intensive purposes 3000 miles under my foot. The tires have a lot of tread left on them. They were questionable to begin with but I figured they'd just go flat at some point. I am sketchy on the other three. The spare exploded too! It's on the balcony. Time to go tire shopping.

I must add the wagon rolled perfectly straight when the tire blew. Good ol Benz. :)

·
Registered
83 300d turbo, 79 c123 AMG
1,870 Posts
What did I say, that was the first thing I noticed when I looked at those tires. Now I guess they will have to be balanced :)

I'm glad nothing bad happened, those cars FLY on I-5

·
Mercedes
9,049 Posts
Age of the tire also plays a role. I wouldn't drive with tires that are older than 6/7 years personally, even if there is a lot of thread, as the rubber loses its properties and things like what you just posted could happen. Luckily, the worse that happened to you is the tire blowing up. Others can be in a lot worse situations (totalling the car) or even worse... injuries/death:eek:

Check the condition of the other tires. The tires should have a number stamped on the side saying the week and the year the tire was manufactured.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Snibble said:
Age of the tire also plays a role. I wouldn't drive with tires that are older than 6/7 years personally, even if there is a lot of thread, as the rubber loses its properties and things like what you just posted could happen. Luckily, the worse that happened to you is the tire blowing up. Others can be in a lot worse situations (totalling the car) or even worse... injuries/death:eek:

Check the condition of the other tires. The tires should have a number stamped on the side saying the week and the year the tire was manufactured.
Interesting, I have never seen a date stamp on tires. I have looked closely at many of them but have never seen anything close resembling a date stamp.

I realize that tires do have a finite life like anything, they degrade from age, ozone, debris and especially when there is 500+lbs of pressure on them at all times it's going to go at some point.

I am going to toss them and use the new tire I bought and rotate it to the spare. If I wasn't making the crap money I was now I would have changed them immediately.

So....any outstanding reccomendations for tires?

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
Glad you got out of that one OK, Curtis.....

I hate Firestone tires, their history with the tread separating and the Ford Explorers rolling over, and the Firestone 500 debacle years before that, and the company's stonewalling the problem all the way into court.

Yokohama Avid got my tire business.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
Boardmonger said:
I'm glad nothing bad happened, those cars FLY on I-5
Roger that.

I-5 is a bowling alley. The following may or may not be true, depending on who asked:

Somewhere between Merced and Coalinga I decided to probe the SEC's limits once...

Cruised at 148 mph for a few minutes. As advertised, those things will cruise at their top speed with no trouble, no problems. Takes white knuckle concentration though. Only difference from 70 mph is the wind noise; afterwards, the comfortable cruising envelope was 90-120 mph, perfect for car and the driver.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cascade said:

I hate Firestone tires, their history with the tread separating and the Ford Explorers rolling over, and the Firestone 500 debacle years before that, and the company's stonewalling the problem all the way into court.

When I got the car, those tires rang some bells with the Firestone lawsuit. I was just hoping those tires weren't going to have the same fate!

I was looking at the BF Goodriches.

What speed rating are the Yoko Avids? (Didn't Lennon have a TD too?)

·
Registered
300SD
11,191 Posts
Each automotive tire has a date of manufacture code stamped on its sidewall (typically only on one side). It looks like this:

This means that the tire was manufactured in the 45th week of the year 2001.

1206 would be the 12th week of the year 2006, and so on.

·
Mercedes
9,049 Posts
cascade said:

They didn't call them Ford EXLPODERS for nothing:p :D

·
Registered
'82 300D
1,279 Posts
I have BFG Touring TA's on my sedan. They can are at the upper limit of weight handling. I'm getting Michelins the next time.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was looking at the Touring T/A's and I wasn't able to find the weight ratings. What sort of weight numbers are causing concern at the "upper limit"?

·
Registered
1985 300D
163 Posts
the coolest thing about having 14" wheels is that tires are kinda cheap. I have a pair of kumho powerstars on mine and they have been great as far as i can tell. i have about 6k so far an no real complaints. they were $40 apiece on sale at the time. just my $.02

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
xtraag said:
the coolest thing about having 14" wheels is that tires are kinda cheap. I have a pair of kumho powerstars on mine and they have been great as far as i can tell. i have about 6k so far an no real complaints. they were $40 apiece on sale at the time. just my $.02
The 79 had them on it. They were surprisingly quiet and decently grippy for the weight and tire dimensions. I was surprised too when I was driving it.

Sigh she's gone now. :( Oh well she's at a nice new home now.

·
Premium Member
107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
5,924 Posts
I bought an '85 300CD in St Louis last December and was driving it back to Ohio. My friend started going through the papers in the glove box and found the receipt for the $29 Sam's Club tires from '94 in the glove box. (The car was hardly ever driven.)

He said "Do you think old tires can just explode?" Nah, probably not." You guessed it, a couple of minutes later BLAM! Same as above, driver's side rear. The explosion was so intense it did body damage as the belts slapped the lower edge of the fender.

We put the spare on, limped home and I got new tires and got the body work done. Ouch! Don't drive on old tires!

·
Registered
240d
309 Posts
Wow... I drove 58 miles with a flat drivers side rear tire and did not know it til I parked it at home. No wonder a few passa by ers hunked when they went around me. I just assmed it was windy out as to why the car wiggled a bit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts