Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 648 Posts

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A news brief that says "Global Warming" may be a bit of an aberration:

Year of global cooling*-*-*The Washington Times, America's Newspaper

Al Gore says global warming is a planetary emergency. It is difficult to see how this can be so when record low temperatures are being set all over the world. In 2007, hundreds of people died, not from global warming, but from cold weather hazards.

Since the mid-19th century, the mean global temperature has increased by 0.7 degrees Celsius. This slight warming is not unusual, and lies well within the range of natural variation. Carbon dioxide continues to build in the atmosphere, but the mean planetary temperature hasn't increased significantly for nearly nine years. Antarctica is getting colder. Neither the intensity nor the frequency of hurricanes has increased. The 2007 season was the third-quietest since 1966. In 2006 not a single hurricane made landfall in the U.S.

South America this year experienced one of its coldest winters in decades. In Buenos Aires, snow fell for the first time since the year 1918. Dozens of homeless people died from exposure. In Peru, 200 people died from the cold and thousands more became infected with respiratory diseases. Crops failed, livestock perished, and the Peruvian government declared a state of emergency.

Unexpected bitter cold swept the entire Southern Hemisphere in 2007. Johannesburg, South Africa, had the first significant snowfall in 26 years. Australia experienced the coldest June ever. In northeastern Australia, the city of Townsville underwent the longest period of continuously cold weather since 1941. In New Zealand, the weather turned so cold that vineyards were endangered.

Last January, $1.42 billion worth of California produce was lost to a devastating five-day freeze. Thousands of agricultural employees were thrown out of work. At the supermarket, citrus prices soared. In the wake of the freeze, California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger asked President Bush to issue a disaster declaration for affected counties. A few months earlier, Mr. Schwarzenegger had enthusiastically signed the California Global Warming Solutions Act of 2006, a law designed to cool the climate. California Sen. Barbara Boxer continues to push for similar legislation in the U.S. Senate.

In April, a killing freeze destroyed 95 percent of South Carolina's peach crop, and 90 percent of North Carolina's apple harvest. At Charlotte, N.C., a record low temperature of 21 degrees Fahrenheit on April 8 was the coldest ever recorded for April, breaking a record set in 1923. On June 8, Denver recorded a new low of 31 degrees Fahrenheit. Denver's temperature records extend back to 1872.

Recent weeks have seen the return of unusually cold conditions to the Northern Hemisphere. On Dec. 7, St. Cloud, Minn., set a new record low of minus 15 degrees Fahrenheit. On the same date, record low temperatures were also recorded in Pennsylvania and Ohio.

Extreme cold weather is occurring worldwide. On Dec. 4, in Seoul, Korea, the temperature was a record minus 5 degrees Celsius. Nov. 24, in Meacham, Ore., the minimum temperature was 12 degrees Fahrenheit colder than the previous record low set in 1952. The Canadian government warns that this winter is likely to be the coldest in 15 years.

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
[Continued]
Oklahoma, Kansas and Missouri are just emerging from a destructive ice storm that left at least 36 people dead and a million without electric power. People worldwide are being reminded of what used to be common sense: Cold temperatures are inimical to human welfare and warm weather is beneficial. Left in the dark and cold, Oklahomans rushed out to buy electric generators powered by gasoline, not solar cells. No one seemed particularly concerned about the welfare of polar bears, penguins or walruses. Fossil fuels don't seem so awful when you're in the cold and dark.

If you think any of the preceding facts can falsify global warming, you're hopelessly naive. Nothing creates cognitive dissonance in the mind of a true believer. In 2005, a Canadian Greenpeace representative explained “global warming can mean colder, it can mean drier, it can mean wetter.” In other words, all weather variations are evidence for global warming. I can't make this stuff up.

Global warming has long since passed from scientific hypothesis to the realm of pseudo-scientific mumbo-jumbo.

How about it you tree huggers, what do you think about this?

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I dont know, but here in Illinois we have not had this much snow this early in December in quit a few years.

Hell Im all for global warming!! This snow is for the birds and the mountains!!! :D

·
Administratoris Emeritus
46,416 Posts
Winter. Stay tuned 'til next summer.

·
Registered
21,652 Posts
[Continued]
Oklahoma, Kansas and Missouri are just emerging from a destructive ice storm that left at least 36 people dead and a million without electric power. People worldwide are being reminded of what used to be common sense: Cold temperatures are inimical to human welfare and warm weather is beneficial. Left in the dark and cold, Oklahomans rushed out to buy electric generators powered by gasoline, not solar cells. No one seemed particularly concerned about the welfare of polar bears, penguins or walruses. Fossil fuels don't seem so awful when you're in the cold and dark.

If you think any of the preceding facts can falsify global warming, you're hopelessly naive. Nothing creates cognitive dissonance in the mind of a true believer. In 2005, a Canadian Greenpeace representative explained “global warming can mean colder, it can mean drier, it can mean wetter.” In other words, all weather variations are evidence for global warming. I can't make this stuff up.

Global warming has long since passed from scientific hypothesis to the realm of pseudo-scientific mumbo-jumbo.

How about it you tree huggers, what do you think about this?
That ice storm was a real bugger...

There are at least as dozen threads around here attesting to the fallacy of "global warming." Hell, even the Pope condemns the prophets of doom! http://www.benzworld.org/forums/off-topic/1352007-pope-condemns-climate-change-prophets-doom.html?highlight=pope

·
Registered
28 Posts
But if it will save just one life!

Remember, if you have a gun in the house you are 43 times more likely to die of global warming!

Global warming causes guns to go off!

Global warming caused Rush to call fake soldiers phony!

·
Administratoris Emeritus
46,416 Posts
^ Might be time to change the station...

·
Registered
36,850 Posts
My dog ate it.

·
Registered
21,652 Posts
But if it will save just one life!

Remember, if you have a gun in the house you are 43 times more likely to die of global warming!

Global warming causes guns to go off!

Global warming caused Rush to call fake soldiers phony!
There are stranger correlations out there. For example: Guns v. Doctors

Doctors:
A) The number of doctors in the U.S. is 700,000
(B) Accidental deaths caused by physicians per year are 120,000
(C) Accidental deaths per physician is 17.14%
(Statistics courtesy of the U.S.Dept of Health & Human Services)

Guns:
(A) The number of gun owners in the U.S. is 80,000,000 (yes that's 80 million)
(B) The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, is 1,500
(C) The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is 0.001875%
(Statistics courtesy of the FBI)

So statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous than gun owners. Remember, guns don't kill people, doctors do.

FACT: NOT EVERYONE HAS A GUN, BUT ALMOST EVERYONE HAS AT LEAST ONE DOCTOR.

Please alert your friends to this alarming threat. We must ban doctors before this gets completely out of hand!

Out of concern for the public at large, I have withheld statistics on lawyers for fear they would cause people to panic and seek medical attention.

Save the Earth. It’s the only planet with chocolate!

·
Registered
36,850 Posts
Congratulations, you've lured Bruce out of hiding. Now then, which is "Neo", and which is "Agent Smith"? :D
When I Was Young Lyrics

(E.Burdon/J.Weider/V.Briggs/D.J.McCulloch/B.A.Jenkins)

The rooms were so much colder then
My father was a soldier then
And times were very hard
When I was young, when I was young
I smoked my first cigarette at ten
And for girls I had a bad yen
And I had quite a gall
When I was young

When I was young it was more important
They'd more pain but they laughed much louder yeah

I met my first love at thirteen
She was brown and I was pretty green
And I learned quite a lot

When I was young it was more important
They'd more pain but they laughed much louder yeah

My faith was so much stronger then
I believed in fellow man
And I was so much older then

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Congratulations, you've lured Bruce out of hiding. Now then, which is "Neo", and which is "Agent Smith"? :D
Hey, be nice, I'm a Lifetime Premium Member you know.... :big laugh: ... it says so in my avatar ...

·
Registered
36,850 Posts
Hey, be nice, I'm a Lifetime Premium Member you know.... :big laugh: ... it says so in my avatar ...
Howdy, Most hated Entity #2!

·
Registered
980 Posts
Any articles I have read about global warming predict one thing -

a period of unusually heavy and unusual storms with erratic changes in local weather patterns

any takers ???

·
Registered
36,850 Posts
Any articles I have read about global warming predict one thing -

a period of unusually heavy and unusual storms with erratic changes in local weather patterns

any takers ???
I'll take door #2 for $325 Bn, Alex.

1 - 20 of 648 Posts
About this Discussion
647 Replies
48 Participants
Teutone
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing