Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
S500/500SEL/300E
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Radio works fine, CD changer loads CD's and goes thru the tracks but there is no sound, not from any of them. I searched but it looks like i'm the only one who has this problem. Does anyone know what the hell is going on? I don't understand how its loading CD's and I can go thru the tracks and fast forward and everything but no sound comes out. This pissing me off!! Everytime I fix something another thing breaks. I just dropped $200 at benz to get my heat to work TODAY and now this breaks!

·
Registered
s320 white
68 Posts
your optical cable cut somethere. unplug the orange plastic wire from the cd changer- and see if there is a red light. if none- means its broken somethere

·
Registered
Current 2017 GLE350, 2007 S550, 2002 S430, 1998 ML320 Deceased 74 240D, 92 400E, 97 E420, 13 GLK350
1,915 Posts
DB2 fiber optic ring

+1 on the optic cable.

The Command head unit can provide some diagnostics for this condition. Go to main menu for S430 (or perhaps service menu for your model). SImultaneously hold down Mute, and buttons 1 and 2 for about 10 seconds. A hidden menu comes up. One is for DB2 diagnostics. Run a test, and it will tell you if you have a break in the optic cable ring. (One break takes down all sound systems that use the speakers)

The optic break can be caused by several things. One is an unpowered consumer in the ring (CD changer, Radio, amplifier, TeleAid or other specialty item). Another is a true mechanical break on the fiber line (unlikely). Last is that the plug in module for one of the consumers in the ring has come loose, and the light path is interrupted.

The optic cable is a pair of orange looking 'wires' slightly larger diameter than signal wires. (incoming and outgoing units) Watch how much of a bend radius that you put on these or you will give a true break in the fiber. These fibers will have independent plug in connections to your consumer units.

A fiber optic splice can be ordered from the dealer for $8. Mercedes Benz Fiber Optic Bypass Coupler Part Number 000-545-33-84. You can use this to bypass the different consumer units on the fiber optic network to test their functionality. If sound returns with a unit bypassed - there's your problem!

Oh yeah - if the radio worked just fine before taking it into MB, and did not work immediately afterwards, then the Dealership should be notified immediately because they are the ones who caused the break in the fiber network. They can scan with STAR diagnostics to pin point the date of failure. They can also erase that data without your knowledge if you don't get a stored trouble code printout.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
atmsmshr's advice is good. To help you do this, see the "troubleshooting a no audio problem" entry under the audio problems section of the W220 S-Class Encyclopedia sticky at the top of the forum. That's why it says "Start Here."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts