1-82
2-84
3-E
4-E
5-69
6-188
7-14
8-139
Error codes 1228 & 1228, L& R heater core temp malf.
I had a number of error msgs. including evaporator temp sensor, which I replaced, then cleared the codes, the above codes are left. The duo-valve
has been taken apart, cleaned & appears to be functioning properly. I'm
not sure what the "E" means on L&R heater core temp. The a/c blows cool,
not cold air & does not cool the care on a HOT day. Any ideas on what I
should do next? 1999 E300td

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,732 Posts
Seems the E means error and codes confirm that your cores sensors malfunction.
Unlikely 2 sensors having good reliability fail at the same time. I would look for loose plug in the system.
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
36,732 Posts
You might need WIS for this job. The cores are buried under dashboard and not easy access. You can subscribe to MB online publication, subscribe to AllData or try it free at local library.

·
Registered
36,732 Posts
The system is computer controlled. With no sensor data available computer goes into default program (limp) if such exist, or shuts the system down.
Bad news MB is not informing owners about computer programs, so it all has to be find on try by error basis.

·
Registered
1999 E300td, 154,000 miles
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So without a lot of luck, I'm stuck with dealing with the stealer, who last year said the car needed a new compressor, condenser, evaporator, and most components in between, none of which was the case.

·
Registered
2001 E430 4matic
419 Posts
I have no idea how a dealer "last year" decided that you need to change evaporator, condenser, compressor .... while your system perfectly holding the 14 bar pressure even today!

As other members mentioned, your AC module does not read the core sensors and most likely is a bad connection. Everything else seems normal. I would remove the AC module on the dash and check all the connections (thats more likley the area). Make sure everything is connected (push them to its place) and nothing is loose or disconnected in the area (be patient) Do a search, read the stickies under climate and you will find many useful topics. After this is resolved, we will evaluate the AC again after running for 20 min, both sides on low.

Take care.

·
Registered
1999 E300td, 154,000 miles
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kajtek & Eagle--Thanks for your response and help, it is truly appreciated. I've been fighting with the a/c since the car was new. Under warranty the stealer would do "something", & say it was working, not. After the warranty was up, each year myself or the indie would do something else, & I would get by the summer, barely. But, other than the a/c it has been a great car; I just don't think about the rust, oil leaks, fuel leaks, glow plugs, rear window regulators or premature maf failure. I'm driving a Mercedes.

·
Registered
36,732 Posts
It is common that dealer will rather charge you for new compressor than for 90 seconds spend on pushing the plug.
The computerized system with variable compressor is still cutting technology, that is why patient DIY owner can do much more than any shop.
I can imagine you pulling up to dealer shop and asking for pushing the plug :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts