Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
E430T + 300SL (W107)
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soon time for new summer tires 235/45-17 for my E430 (Elegance = no sport suspension). I currently run on Michelin Pilot Sport.

There are really a lot of tires to choose from. What is a good tire of this size if your highest priority is comfort? They also have to be rated at least 240km/h.

Down-size to 16" is not an option because car has E55AMG brakes that require 17".

·
BenzWorld G Class Host
2002 800RMK
1,518 Posts
Not too many choices

I looked at the Tire Rack. There really isn't much to choose from if you want comfort and a speed rating. Truely the only one I saw that would fit both needs was the Michelin Pilot Primacy. It is a grand touring tire designed for comfort, long treadlife and a modicum of performance. The W speed rated ~270km/hr was on sale for $183 US each. My experiences with Michelins have all been positive, looks like a great tire.

·
Registered
E430T + 300SL (W107)
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So what differences can I expect, going from Pilot Sport to the more touring oriented Pilo...

So what differences can I expect, going from Pilot Sport to the more touring oriented Pilot Primacy?

Longer life would not hurt, my current tires has only 12,000 km (7,500 miles) and there is only 3mm left on the rear wheels. Its quite expensive if you need to change tires a couple of times per year...

·
BenzWorld Tire & Wheel God
1,386 Posts
for a priority of comfort in your OE size .... I would suggest the Firestone Firehawk SZ50...

for a priority of comfort in your OE size .... I would suggest the Firestone Firehawk SZ50 EP ... I have many E55 owners using that tire with great results ... I also have a friend using them on his Vanden Plas and I can't pay him to take them off ...

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Firehawk+SZ50+EP

·
Registered
E430T + 300SL (W107)
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can´t find anyone who sells these tires in europe. To bad, cause it seem to be a good tire...

Can´t find anyone who sells these tires in europe. To bad, cause it seem to be a good tire.

I am very happy with my Pilot Sports, I guess the somewhat harsh ride in slow speed is due to due the relatively low profile, and that Mercedes prioritise high speed stability (car really goes like on rails at top speed!).

However, with these tires the total tire cost is almost as high as the fuel cost (and fuel is twice as expensive in Europe compared to USA...) and this is not acceptable to me. For better tire economy, I am willing to sacrifice some grip, but not comfort.

I read some reviews on Pilot Primacy, and they were not very positive. Seems like the tire is extremelz noisy. Maybe I´ll try Continental Sportcontact 2.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts