Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like on the 126 I used to have, I find the single bulb for the brakes to be inadequate. While I am ultra-happy to see Mercedes, and a few other makes, use separate bulbs for stop, tail, and turn signals, the acreage on the 124 is a bit small.

On the 126, it was easy to cannibalize the innermost red lens for an additional brake light. Not only is the difference dramatic, but should you lose one bulb, you still have another on the same side.

I did the same with my 124, today, however, unlike the 126, the 124 has a rearward-facing red fog lamp in the left side cluster (LHD model). I really, really like this functionality, and I'm planning on finding a square, flat, in-bumper lamp in a salvage yard to take the place of the one I took, but in the meantime, is there any way around having the 'light out' indicator not illuminate when the parking lights are lit?

I knew it would tell me a bulb was out, but I thought it would happen only when the fogs were pulled out to the second stop, i.e. when the bulb was being used.

Ideas?

Oh, and the difference is amazing. Given the amount of attention people pay to driving, more light is almost always better.

One thing I found to be pretty neat was you can use just the fog lights, without the headlights. While it's happened to me only a couple of times, I've been in conditions when the low-beam headlights scattered so badly in the fog, fog lights are overwhelmed by the reflection, hence, useless.

This can happen in snow, too.

·
Registered
99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB
2,282 Posts
The earlier ( 1986-1993 ? )cars do not have the rear foglight....
You could add resistance to keep the lamp out indicator functioning or just take the indicator bulb out !!!
I did this when I added an additional brake lamp in the right and left fog positions and replaced the stock lamps with LED's

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I considered taking the bulb out, but I like the feature.

Plus, when I do remove the instrument cluster, I have several other things I want to do, none of which I want to tackle right now.

I may just have to wire in a 'dummy' bulb for now, and put it somewhere where, if it's on, and it shouldn't be, it won't catch anything on fire. I'm planning to put a rear-facing fog lamp assembly of some sort in/under the bumper, I just don't know when.

In fact, I was eyeballing the metal areas just under the tail lamp housing and in the rear of the trunk, then I slapped myself. Don't know what I was thinking, cutting into pristine metal.

·
Registered
99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB
2,282 Posts
I considered taking the bulb out, but I like the feature.

Plus, when I do remove the instrument cluster, I have several other things I want to do, none of which I want to tackle right now.

I may just have to wire in a 'dummy' bulb for now, and put it somewhere where, if it's on, and it shouldn't be, it won't catch anything on fire. I'm planning to put a rear-facing fog lamp assembly of some sort in/under the bumper, I just don't know when.

In fact, I was eyeballing the metal areas just under the tail lamp housing and in the rear of the trunk, then I slapped myself. Don't know what I was thinking, cutting into pristine metal.
Measure the resistance of the bulb you replaced and just install a resistor of equal value.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Measure the resistance of the bulb you replaced and just install a resistor of equal value.
Duh....

Thanks.

I can't believe I hadn't thought of that....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts