Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes C230
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after replacement of polyurethane control arm bushing, ball joints and shocks. The guy comes out and says we can't align the car properly because my wheel bearings have play in them as well as the inner tie rods. My question is, which tie rods are considered the inner tie rods?

I plan on ordering the parts and getting it taken care of. Just want to be sure which ones they are.

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes C230
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just jacked up the car to see what the tech was talking about. So when I grab my wheel and move it left to right it has some play in it as well as when I move it up and down. When he meant inner tie rods, it appears that he was saying the drag link system.

·
Registered
95 C280, 89 300E, 94' E320 Coupe, 91' 560SEC
1,095 Posts
yeah the older system would have "inner tie rods" such as the ones in the W124's. I could have bought the tie rod ends for mine but i ended up getting the draglink assembly complete as it would have been 30 or so more. By the way the drag link was a B*tch and a half to get unbolted on mine. I gave up and just installed the ends since my draglink center was fine. I keep that part with me when my draglink eventually has to be replaced

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes C230
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just purchased 2 wheel bearing kits, drag link assembley and an idle arm bushing. Cost about 215 before shipping. My guy is going to do all of it for 150 bucks labor.

Poly bushings for LCA 100
Front shocks 100
ball joints 50
labor for above 200
drag link assembley 110
idle arm bushing 22
wheel bearing kit 70
labor for above 3 150
alignment 80
total about 900 bucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but its worth it. I have put a 100k on it with only the air flow meter going out and normal wear and tear

·
Registered
880 Posts
Be very careful, as you may or may not need what the shop says, as they don't make money on alignments, they make money on the service they recommend.

Inner tie rods are a biggie, as on cars with rack and pinion, not yours, they are buried and can't be checked without taking things apart.

Your wheel bearings have an adjustment nut, and again may or may not need replacing.

You might want a second opinion.

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes C230
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Marvin,

I have a guy who does work on the sides and he mentioned that my wheel bearings need replacing soon and then when I took it to Les Scwabb, they mentioned the same thing and they said didn't recommend aligning it the way it is.

The drag link, may or may not have needed changing, but at 150k on the car, I thought might as well change and I'll be good for the life of the car. The Les Scwabb guy said they couldn't even change it because the part doesnt come up in their system or something like that.

I did get the car back today and man it drives nice. Very responsive. I need a wheel balance on my front tires and they need changing soon, so that's when i'll get the true satisfaction. If any of you guys need work done, I have a guy who does it on the side and is very legit. He was actually referred to me buy a member here. He lives in Sacramento.

·
Registered
1998 C43
701 Posts
good to hear. play in the wheels doesn't always mean that the wheel bearings are bad. when you take off the wheel and spin the hub, you should be able to hear it if the bearing is bad. im pretty sure they nailed you on those... but at least your ride wont need anything done for the next 100k miles. keep the fingers crossed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts