Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 300SD/80 300CD
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just acquired an 85 Euro 500SEL. Owner said he had it for the last eight years but that it has been sitting for the last five. Said he drove it till a tree fell on her and messed up the radiator. There is a large impression in the windshield and a small dent in the hood and fender. The radiator is out of it. Odd thing is he said that it cannot be titled though it was. I bought her for parts but now I am intrigued. Thoughts?

·
Registered
420SEL
1,172 Posts
Get a junk 126 that barley runs for cheap, inure register and throw th use plates on your 500sel.

That’s if you want to get things done fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1985 MB 500sel (Euro)
149 Posts
Unusual question. The answer probably depends on what state/country you are in. In Florida, for example,if you cause a car accident with injuries while you do not have insurance, the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (DHSMV) can suspend your driver's license, vehicle registration, license plate, and tags. At least that's what google says. No mention, however, of cancelling the title. You might want to ask local DMV or a lawyer along with whatever title the seller signed over to you. .

·
Registered
1989 560SEL, 1979 Cressida MX32, 2006 F150 Lariat
1,507 Posts
If you live in the state of Florida you cannot re title a vehicle if it has been in an accident of any kind that results in airbag deployment therfore that said vehicle is given a certificate of destruction. That does not mean that someone can't buy the vehicle, repair it and title it in another state after inspection.

What state are you in? Check with your local DMV to see if it can be titled/registered and go from there. Alabama and Georgia are 2 states that I know of close to me that do NOT require titles for motor vehicles.

·
Registered
1985 MB 500sel (Euro)
149 Posts
Did not know that about Florida. when my son totaled his car (no airbag deploy though) he had to sign title over to insurance co. Thanks Grumpy. But that also confirms my advice to check with lawyer or local DMV. Key would be if seller signed over title to you. I note also that no radiator could be very suspect for a front end collision that would deploy airbag. My car only has driver side air bag and I suspect dual air bags did not come in until Gen II, but I might be wrong.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts