Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1980 280CE; 1982 300CD
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 1982 300CD has 162k and ran strong. Or so I thought... Easy starts when cold, good power. Burned/leaked a quart every 600 miles or so, which I knew wasn’t good but tolerated.

It was also kinda smokey. So after some research, I popped the injectors out to have them tested at a local shop, and decided to do some cleaning while I waited.

Here’s some pics of where it all started. What a mess.

I tell myself this is my “last Mercedes” and the one that will be perfect. It’s off to a good start as turbo coupe in Lapis Blue with no rust. Also a local car purchased at the oldest MB dealer in the US. It’s got a few miles but is shaping up to be kind of a “love letter” to the W123, as the guys in the car magazines like to say.

I’ve taken on a MAJOR project with this car, and plan to keep this thread updated as I go. And I’ll probably link in some “side threads” to keep it organized. These first pics are from a few years ago, and I’ve collected a lot of parts and made a lot of progress since then and have some cool stuff to show you. Stay tuned.

FB

Attachments

·
Registered
1980 280CE; 1982 300CD
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The EGR was caked up pretty tight.

Attachments

·
Registered
1980 280CE; 1982 300CD
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A little background:

I bought the car in April, 2010. From a gentleman named Dieter, of course. That day, he was playing the accordian in a German folk band at a restaurant. I met him at the gig to see the car. Here's a pic or three from the test drive.

The chromed bundts didn't last long.

FB

Attachments

·
Registered
1980 280CE; 1982 300CD
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More background: I bought it in April, 2010 with about 148k. Due to "life", I had to put it away in mid-2011 with 162k. Somewhere around August, 2015 I was forced to move it out of storage because the shop I was renting had been sold. It's been waiting in my garage since then.

This video records the first start in about 4.5 years. At the time, I was pretty darn pleased. Little did I know what I was about to find...

·
Registered
1980 280CE; 1982 300CD
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gorgeous. The chrome Bundts are the BEST Bundts. Wish I had a set.
Thanks. I can't remember what happened to these. I think they were the cheapies from Adsitco. Maybe Performance Parts? Anyway, they were flakey.

And I have some other, more BESTer bundts for it (IMHO).

FB

·
Registered
1990 560 SEC 1985 300CD
1,394 Posts
I love that color. Mine is Silberblau. That looks a shade darker, but not the typical blue. Love to see more pics of the car.

·
Registered
1980 280CE; 1982 300CD
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, there's going to be pics. Maybe too many.

·
Registered
1980 280CE; 1982 300CD
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not long after I decided to clean it up, the results from my injector testing came back. They were all very good- passed the pop tests with no adjustment recommendations.

BTW, I highly recommend Diesel Fuel Injection Service on Vancouver in North Portland. They've been working on these Bosch systems and Mercedes applications for decades and know them inside and out. My injector pump is with them now for a checkup, and I have a feeling it will come back like new.

So, with good injectors I knew my smoking problem was deeper. And it was burning oil. I thought that if I popped out the engine I could not only do a better job cleaning, but I could get the head off and take a look inside. Sure, the head can come off with the engine in the car, but I was committing to getting this car right, and I had a feeling it was headed to a professional.

Of course, getting the engine out came with a serious snag. It was one of the allen head bolts on the starter. Tried everything. In one pic you can see the ratchet extensions past the transmission. That was the "easy" way.

Then, I hacked together a custom tool as seen in the pic with the starter. In one pic you can see a clamp holding it in and a floor jack for motion. Not only was it hokey, but it didn't work. Huh.

In another you can see we tried to heat the bolt to loosen it. That didn't work.

Eventually I turned to a cutting wheel on a die grinder. It wasn't fun but did the trick. Managed to keep the scarring on the transmission to a minimum.

Why not take out the trans with the engine, you ask? Been there, done that on the 280CE and felt like I was lucky nothing went wrong. Pic below. I knew I didn't have enough lift (or ceiling clearance) to make it happen.

Attachments

·
Registered
'86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
4,112 Posts
I replaced the Allen head bolts on the starter with normal hex head bolts (Grade 8.8) Now I can remove the starter with the engine on its mounts with an 18mm ring spanner.

·
'89 300E Turbo project, ‘85 Audi Coupe Quattro, ‘71 BMW turbo 2002, '73 BMW 2002tii, ‘67 Kaiser M725
17,626 Posts
Yeah Fratboy, that’s how!

·
Registered
1980 280CE; 1982 300CD
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've thought about going back with hex head bolts on the starter. I have to wonder why they were Allen in the first place...

One thing is for sure, I won't be over-torquing them on the install. I think some real split washers, not the wavy ones, will help with reduce the drama at the next removal.

FB

·
Registered
1980 280CE; 1982 300CD
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I started a sub-thread about the engine rebuild.

FB

1 - 13 of 13 Posts