Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just curious how this is affecting CA buyers choices and future purchases? What effect does this have on or around USA down the road?

So if your truck has a GVWR of 14.000 or higher...then you havet to upgrade? That is for instance a 1-ton truck 3500 that can tow over 14K GVRW? So a 1/2 or 3/4 ton could potentially fall into these categories too?

On-Road Heavy-Duty Diesel Vehicles (In-Use) Regulation

What types of vehicles are exempt from complying with the Truck and Bus regulation?
Vehicles that are not subject to the Truck and Bus regulation include emergency vehicles, military tactical vehicles, personal use motor homes, personal use pickup trucks with a gross vehicle weight rating less than 19,501 lbs, and historic vehicles as defined and licensed by the California Department of Motor Vehicles. State owned vehicles, solid waste collection vehicles, urban buses, transit fleet vehicles, two engine cranes, two engine drill rigs, work-over rigs are already subject to other in-use regulations and do not need to comply with this regulation. Drayage trucks and private utility owned trucks are already subject to other existing regulations, but the vehicles will need to comply with the Truck and Bus regulation and be upgraded to 2010 model year engines starting January 1, 2023 and January 1, 2021 respectively.

·
Registered
U500 with Unicat camper
798 Posts
It affects me:
Not at all. I already had decided I would never ever live in California. As far as driving through Calif., my U500 is a camper.
It looks like those of you with GVW<8844kg (U1300/1550) have the choice of a bed/personal use pickup, those over that will have to put a motorhome body on.
Oh well, IMHO a motorhome body is the highest and best use of a Mog anyways....

Charlie

·
Registered
Sold .....1987 U1250 Unimog
1,005 Posts
Many are but some SBU's can exceed
6 lug axle Unimog's are normally around 7500 Kg or 16,500 lbs...
8 Lug axle Unimog's are around 10,000Kg or 22,000 lbs.... Doh!!!
10 Lug Axle Unimog's are around 12,500 Kg or 27,600 lbs Really doh!!

As with all unimog's these are general averages that I have seen for each, but there are plenty of exceptions based on customer needs, design, WB, ETC.

:( my 8 lug Unimog is only 25 years old. so no CA for me.. If I read CARB right.

·
Registered
1980 U416, 1992 U1450 DoKa
625 Posts
You can retrofit a Diesel Particulate Filter and control NOx by changing the exhaust muffler. It will cost you plenty. Well, to live in CA already costs a lot...

Saludos

·
Unimog Moderator
250GD Wolf
13,263 Posts
I get plenty of enjoyment from my Mog without it being a motorhome ;) Since I don't enjoy "camping" It would get used far less if it was converted. Of course, in Alberta, if it rolls down the road and at least one of the brake lights works your good to go :p

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,417 Posts
Surprised nobody has brought up the impact of CARB regulations on the OTHER 49 states.

The current federal administration has loosened the reins on CARB and their henchmen, thereby giving them more clout with the EPA, DOT & NTHSA. CARB is much more involved in the efforts to increase future CAFE numbers then they have been in the past. If this trend continues (and CARB remains the same hotbed of greenthink it currently is), you WILL be seeing these same emissions laws coming to the entire USA.

Saying, "I don't live or travel in CA, so I don't care." won't work.

Plus, IMO, once these regulations become entrenched in the entire country, look out for the quick phase-out of exemptions for use, age, ect. We will all be screwed.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
There are already effects in other states. A friend in Nebraska says that he can no longer drive his 1 ton dodge work truck unless he gets a CDL and they also won't let farmers drive their farm/grain trucks to market any longer unless they have CDLs.

I think all of this was initiated because of those guys with the 40 foot hotshot trailers loaded with 3 vehicles towing across Neb on I-80 with 1 ton trucks. I could be wrong about that but I always thought that setup looked like a bad idea unless you are only going a shot distance.

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,417 Posts
There are already effects in other states. A friend in Nebraska says that he can no longer drive his 1 ton dodge work truck unless he gets a CDL and they also won't let farmers drive their farm/grain trucks to market any longer unless they have CDLs.
This is one of those things that's actually been 'on-the-books' for years and not heavily enforced in rural states or areas. All the state laws on weights and drivers licenses are SUPPOSED to reflect federal DOT laws. Federal law sets the weight limits for CDL's.

Technically, I cannot hook my car trailer to my truck-plated 1 ton and drive it, even UNLOADED, without a CDL, because the CGVWR would exceed the limit for a class 'D' (passenger car) license. There is no exemption for "non-commercial" use. Whether the local LEO's would attempt to stop me is another story, but, as you say, they are getting tougher. There ARE ways to legally tow this kind of combination weight, but they vary by state - I'll leave it to you to figure them out in your local :)

Frankly, the whole CDL requirement wouldn't bother me too much IF they also disallowed everyone's Grandad from piloting his Class A land yacht with a passenger car license...:eek:

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
3,821 Posts
Well living in a state that aligns itself with CARB findings, FWIW diesel emissions controls for commercial vehicles is long over due. Cry all you want but in my state there are far more diesels over 16k than under it and cleaning up the fleet emissions makes a huge difference. Sitting on the approach for the George Washington Bridge in a line of trucks 2 miles long can change how you think about cleaning up class 6, 7 & 8 trucks.

As for CDL I do have to agree about the class A motor yachts, you need one to run a motor coach carrying a lot less weight but any one with the coin can run a land ark like its a minivan. It strikes me funny that you don't need to demonstrate any knowledge or working ability to handle a vehicle that size and behavior.

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,417 Posts
Well living in a state that aligns itself with CARB findings, FWIW diesel emissions controls for commercial vehicles is long over due. Cry all you want but in my state there are far more diesels over 16k than under it and cleaning up the fleet emissions makes a huge difference. Sitting on the approach for the George Washington Bridge in a line of trucks 2 miles long can change how you think about cleaning up class 6, 7 & 8 trucks.
I don't have too many problems with "cleaning up" commercial trucks. Many of them get cleaned up through replacement with newer units.

It's the potential for blanket regulation with no exemption for hobbyist vehicles that has me concerned. I thought that was the point of this thread :confused:

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
3,821 Posts
It's been one of those days. My comments were directed at the commercial service application side, trucks that generally do not get the same in service care that a "hobby" owner feels is bare minimum.

·
Registered
MERZ-1997-U-1350 LM Belgian Troop truck 366A-fast. axles-Binz Engine 220 HP HP upgrade in Nederlands
697 Posts
I registered my 1987 435t as a HOUSE CAR, as rec'd by the customs official--in writing and the Ca. DMV supervisor agreed since it was full of ambulance bunks and only room for a cooler and a tool box otherwise--she agreed that I could use shower, water,toilette, etc facilities at a campground--very nice lady. Plus since truck is a house car is EXEMPT of CARB regs and is also 25 years old and diesel, so no smog checks---all in all--- dodged a bullet.
TLane---:)

·
Banned
'02 UNIMOG® UGN. until its deleted or passes scrutineering.
1,826 Posts
A Unimog is a truck ?

A house ?

A car ?

A bus?

U niversal
n
i
m otor
o
gerat (sorry, dont have German script here)

My way of thinking is, tractors dont have emission standards......yet.
When they do, companies like CAT will have a bird. I get asked alot, whats your milage like ? I answer, I burn gallons per hour. That amount changes with what Im doing. At under 300 feet per hour, milage appears to suck. LOL

If I win big on the lottery, Im going to build a stretch Limo, from a John Deere, just to see what the law wants me to register it as. A car, with a bar, that can bale hay at the same time the loader can fill the manure spreader. I just know that a Limo wont require a CDL.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes...my original thread was for us who use Mogs as a Hobbynot commercial...I think its clear to point oit C.A.R.B. will affect us all at some time.....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts