Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently bought a 2007 Mercedes GL450 with around 51K miles. The original owner bought an extended warranty for 2 additional years or 100K miles which cost her $3,200.

When I test drove her GL450, I noticed a few small issues that I had her take back to her Mercedes dealership to check out. They said it was all normal. After buying the suv, I figured I would bring the vehicle to another Mercedes dealership to have them take a look at those issues. They kept my car for a week and did some major repairs.

Complained about a little rough idle and jerky feel when I release the brake and the car idles forward. MBZ found out cylinder #2 had 80% leakage so they replaced the cylinder head and 2 exhaust valves.

Also found out some noises from the front suspension and they changed out both control arms, link rods, etc.

Along with a few other odds and ends, this whole service would have costed over $7K. Thanks god for extended warranty.

It's a little scary that a 3 year old car with only 51K miles can have so many issues.

·
Registered
07 gl 450 and 07 s550
12 Posts
my repairs at 65k miles were over 10k$! engine had to come out and the internal sprocket replaced!! now with 85k miles the shocks are sinking and i need some struts/shock work. don't think i'll buy another

·
Registered
1999 ML320
24,029 Posts
... MBZ found out cylinder #2 had 80% leakage so they replaced the cylinder head and 2 exhaust valves.

Also found out some noises from the front suspension and they changed out both control arms, link rods, etc.
It's a little scary that a 3 year old car with only 51K miles can have so many issues.
Sorry to scare you even more, but the dead cylinder and busted suspension at 50K indicate this 3 yr old car has not exactly been driven nicely.

·
Registered
GL450, R500 traded, ML350 sold
437 Posts
my repairs at 65k miles were over 10k$! engine had to come out and the internal sprocket replaced!! now with 85k miles the shocks are sinking and i need some struts/shock work. don't think i'll buy another
I can understand frustration with sprocket issue. I can't understand complaint about suspension components need replaced after 85K. What do you expect?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I think I paid around $4K for the 100K warranty. It was money well spent - I can't believe how much it has saved me.

Repairs covered include replacing the left front strut once and the right front twice. The tranny was practically rebuilt at 95K miles. There have been a variety of oil leaks where seal were replaced under warranty, including the steering rack. I love the car and I love MBZ but I doubt I will ever buy another.

Lexus, OTOH, just sent me a letter explaining that they were extending my warranty to 100K for free so long as I continue dealer maintenance, which is reasonable. I guess their actuaries have figured it wouldn't cost them as there are so few repairs in the 1st 100K (unlike my ML and GL).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts