Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1988 300e
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...I posted a couple of days ago regarding some amateur mechanic work and how I ended up blowing the 80A fuse strip for the glow plug relay...yadda yadda yadda..there was no replacement anywhere so I purchased an 80A fusible link from Auto Zone and, after some minor mods, used it successfully.
Now; fast forward to tonight. My dash lights went out so the first place I looked was the fuse box. While examining the fuses, guess what I found in the spare fuse section?...Yyyyep...a spare 80A fuse strip. :eek:

·
Registered
93 300SD,79 300CD work in progress
48 Posts
I think we have all done similar things in our time,I'll be the first to admit that I've had many similar experiences.

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

·
Registered
1988 300e
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am assuming when the dash unit is snapped into place, it grounds to the frame. I removed it before and replaced it to find the dash lights were no longer working. I didn't notice till that night on my way home from work. Before I got home, they came back on after hitting a few bumps on the road. I didn't have anymore problems until the other night when I took it back out and replaced it. They were not working again so I pulled it out again and gave it a little more forceful snap back in...then half of them came on. I didn't have time to try again so I left it for a project on my next day off.

·
Registered
1983 500 SEC Lorinser 1971 280se w108
1,963 Posts
The dimmer switch gets corrosion on the contacts
If you wind it up and down a few times it will usually fix intermittent dash lights

·
Registered
1988 300e
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good call. I will give that a shot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts