Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1981 380 SL
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally sucked it up and pulled the intake manifold on my 81 380SL. All the rubber stuff is hard as woodpecker lips so I'm replacing EVERYTHING in search of a vacuum gauge pegged to the left. Whoever posted that the intake manifold bolts are a beotch knows what he's talking about. After about four of the bolts' allen heads spun out internally, I learned a Craftsman 12mm 16pt 3/8 drive socket will drive on the bolt head and get enough purchase to bring it out. I learned Kroil and PB Blaster will not penetrate down to the threads in the head, even after THREE WEEKS with impact and heat. I only wrung off one bolt and was able to drill it out. I chased all the threads w/8mmx1.25 tap and will use new MB bolts to go back together. Should I use any anti-seize on the bolts? THANKS to this outstanding forum for the info and encouragement you don't even know you give me. At last I'm able to give a tip; sorry I don't have an account to post pics. THANKS - Stan :bowdown:

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,149 Posts
Well, I finally sucked it up and pulled the intake manifold on my 81 380SL. All the rubber stuff is hard as woodpecker lips so I'm replacing EVERYTHING in search of a vacuum gauge pegged to the left. Whoever posted that the intake manifold bolts are a beotch knows what he's talking about. After about four of the bolts' allen heads spun out internally, I learned a Craftsman 12mm 16pt 3/8 drive socket will drive on the bolt head and get enough purchase to bring it out. I learned Kroil and PB Blaster will not penetrate down to the threads in the head, even after THREE WEEKS with impact and heat. I only wrung off one bolt and was able to drill it out. I chased all the threads w/8mmx1.25 tap and will use new MB bolts to go back together. Should I use any anti-seize on the bolts? THANKS to this outstanding forum for the info and encouragement you don't even know you give me. At last I'm able to give a tip; sorry I don't have an account to post pics. THANKS - Stan :bowdown:
Good show!

You don't need an outside account. Before hitting "submit", scroll down to manage attachments. Browse to the location on your hard drive, and choose your picture file... BW will re-size and append to your post. .jpg files work best.

Good luck with your project.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts