Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening everyone!
Freezing cold here on the East Coast and my 420 SEL is safely tucked away in the garage. I am new to the forums,and desperatly need your help. I have a 1990 420 SEL with 200,000 miles on her. She drive like a dream, and after all these years is rust free and not an oil burner. Good ol engineering from the Fatherland. Anyway all of a sudden my reverse seem to non-existent. I shift into "R" and wouldnt you know it, its gone missing. If anyone finds my reverse or has any idea as to where I might have left it, I would be greatful. Any advice would be appreciated. I have the 722.3 transmission. Is it time for a rebuilt or is this a common trait and why is it referred to as the "death rattle"?
Thank you all in advance,
Fred Wittenberg
Brewster,NY

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
Sadly, it's time for a rebuild...

Which ever item that did fail (there are choices) to remedy it requires the transmission be removed, torn down and rebuilt.

Jonathan

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,244 Posts
Please add a location to your profile (user CP pic), it makes it easier for members to offer advice.
For different parts of the World, Mercedes Benz made different versions of the same car.

Welcome, to take advantage of all the forum features, please re visit the 'Welcome to the Forum' tutorial sticky on top of the W126 page, as well as the two DIY stickies.
It will show how to search the forum, and even has a link to the Russian MB site where you can run a VIN#. The forum archive has a wealth of information write re your topic.
Good luck

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts