Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Banned
2,577 Posts
Traditionally, the court has held that people have no reasonable expectation of privacy to information they show to third parties, and so no warrant is required to obtain that information.

....people reveal a great deal of information about themselves to third parties in the course of carrying out mundane tasks, like dialing phone numbers, visiting websites, and purchasing books and medications online.

No warrant
Public domain

·
Registered
36,850 Posts
(having not read any of the previous posts ...)

Another example of one set of rules for the proletariat and a separate set of rules for the aristocracy.

I once held a low-level National Security Clearance. The ways, even at my level, that you could screw-up and get prosecuted was spelled-out in excruciating detail before I got read-in.

Gen Petraeus (and Sandy Berger RealClearPolitics - Articles - Sandy Berger: What Did He Take and Why Did He Take It? before him and John Deutch Improper Handling of Classified Information by John M. Deutch even before him) ALL violated National Security laws. All they got was embarrassment. Meanwhile, low-level doofuses get in camera trials and lengthy prison time.

There is no clearer dual track justice than National Security.

Fucking assholes.

·
Moderately subtle
11,987 Posts
Your have no right to an expectation of privacy in public
You license plates can be tracked
The air waves are public domain
The internet is public domain
Use encryption

Are you saying gov agents have no right to read these posts?
Or determine where they originate?
Simple commercial ip tracker

The program has passed constitutional muster and is still in place

You are not a very good junior perry mason
Cheer up lil cowpoke
The posts on here? That's something I put in the public domain on purpose.

My emails? nope
My cell phone calls? nope
Whether I read your post or not? nope

·
Banned
2,577 Posts
The posts on here? That's something I put in the public domain on purpose.

My emails? nope
My cell phone calls? nope
Whether I read your post or not? nope
Doesn't matter
Once you entrust a third party with control of the information the right to privacy has been waived
Or so courts have interpreted up to this point
That may change

You post here based on the assumption of anonymity
But no guarantee of such

The program is still in effect
Has passed constitutional muster
And all your whining and pontificating will not change that
Get off the soap box

You are entitled to your opinion but your own facts
Yours is contrary to law and is wrong until reversed by the SCotUS

·
Registered
8,089 Posts
granted- the former General did serve his country, but he knowingly broke the law. He and his mistress (who is in the Army Reserve) should be punished to the fullest extent because both of them disgraced the Army.
his light punishment only reinforces the notion that field Grade officers can get away with a slap on the wrist, while other Soldiers get the book thrown at them.

·
Banned
2,577 Posts
granted- the former General did serve his country, but he knowingly broke the law. He and his mistress (who is in the Army Reserve) should be punished to the fullest extent because both of them disgraced the Army.
his light punishment only reinforces the notion that field Grade officers can get away with a slap on the wrist, while other Soldiers get the book thrown at them.
The prosecution asked for a 40k fine, he got a 100k one

How many soldiers were prosecuted and convicted for killing civilians in the last 14 years in Iraq and 'stan???
Yet we know tens if not hundreds of thousands were killed
Rape? Still a capital offense in the military?

The Generals punishment was appropriate for the crime

If the book was thrown at every officer for every infraction the ranks would dwindle

Maximum punishment of someone found guilty of adultery is a dismissal from the service, forfeiture of all benefits, including pensions, and imprisonment for up to a year.

·
Registered
8,089 Posts
I disagree
he was a 4 Star General. He was a leader.
We are kicking out Lower enlisted for Tattoos and failure of PT. but the former General gets a slap on the wrist while risking National Security .
Leaders- especially Flag officers have a moral responsibility to be Honest and trustworthy. He violated a scared trust.
100K isnt alot of money for him, he makes 50K per speech.

·
Registered
8,089 Posts
and where is the punishment for adultery (Article 134 I think) ?

·
Banned
2,577 Posts
Perspective
He is not the only one soft peddled
US soldiers raped Iraqi boys in front of their mothers | Veterans News Now
“I saw [name blacked out] fucking a kid, his age would be about 15-18 years. The kid was hurting very bad and they covered all the doors with sheets. Then when I heard the screaming I climbed the door because on top it wasn’t covered and I saw [blacked out], who was wearing the military uniform putting his dick in the little kid’s ass, I couldn’t see the face of the kid because his face wasn’t in front of the door. And the female soldier was taking pictures.”

Now, over a decade later the evidence of these events are beginning to surface, but the Department of Defense is still doing their best to keep it under the radar. That is why now more than ever, it is important to keep the pressure on and force the release of this evidence, while the torture report is fresh in the minds of the general population.

·
Registered
8,089 Posts
all who did wrong should be punished.

E1-O9, rank shouldnt make a difference, neither should the crime.

If you broke the law, you get your due process and if found guilty you should be punished.
A society that doesn't follow the rule of law is doomed to descend into chaos.

·
Banned
2,577 Posts
all who did wrong should be punished.

E1-O9, rank shouldnt make a difference, neither should the crime.

If you broke the law, you get your due process and if found guilty you should be punished.
A society that doesn't follow the rule of law is doomed to descend into chaos.
But rank does matter
Do adultary rules apply to the enlisted?

So does length and quality of service
And those are proportional to rank

He followed due process
He got his sentence after pleading guilty
He WAS punished
He owned the crime

The others did not
Manning plead innocent
Snowden fled
Both released the information into the public domain
People trying to daw parallels have an agenda

Rape is a big problem in the military
Covered up
Seldom prosecuted
Victims harrassed
Victims intimidated
Result a large % fail to even report it since they know it won't be prosecuted
Boys will be boys

Gotta pick our fights better
2 west point officers both with high clearences mishandling docs @$$ fn a boy in front of his mother
Do the math

·
Registered
8,089 Posts
you are right I do have an Agenda

my Agenda is that ALL Servicemen should be treated fairly.

Bradley Manning did not leak top secret material to his mistress.

he leaked factual historical data to an open source.

yet he is in Jail
The former General knowingly left Top secret data to his Mistress. and he gets no prison time.
and the Mistress gets away with nothing even though she received T.S. data.

call it an agenda if you wish- I call it equality of treatment for all Servicemen no matter the rank or grade.

·
Banned
2,577 Posts

yet he is in Jail
The former General knowingly left Top secret data to his Mistress. and he gets no prison time.

call it an agenda if you wish- I call it equality of treatment for all Servicemen no matter the rank or grade.
Manning stole and leaked classified information into the public domain

·
Banned
2,577 Posts
Manning's crime was eligible for capital punishment
They did not seek it

Manning's offenses carried a maximum sentence of 90 years. The government asked for 60 years as a deterrent to others, while Manning's lawyer asked for no more than 25 years. She was sentenced on August 21 to 35 years in prison, reduction in rank to private (private E-1 or PVT), forfeiture of all pay and allowances, and a dishonorable discharge. She was given credit for 1,293 days of pretrial confinement, including 112 days for her treatment at Quantico, and will be eligible for parole after serving one-third of the sentence. There may also be additional credit for good behavior, which means she could be released after eight years. She is confined at the United States Disciplinary Barracks (USDB) at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas.

Sounds like she got a light sentence and preferential treatment due to the publicity surrounding the case

·
Banned
2,577 Posts
Manning was arrested by the U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Division (CID),[92] on May 27, 2010, and transferred four days later to Camp Arifjan in Kuwait.[93] She was charged with several offenses in July, replaced by 22 charges in March 2011, including violations of Articles 92 and 134 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ), and of the Espionage Act. The most serious charge was "aiding the enemy," a capital offense, although prosecutors said they would not seek the death penalty.[94] Another charge, which Manning's defense called a "made up offense"[95] but of which she was found guilty, read that Manning "wantonly [caused] to be published on the internet intelligence belonging to the US government, having knowledge that intelligence published on the internet is accessible to the enemy."

The trial began on June 3, 2013. Manning was convicted on July 30, on 17 of the 22 charges in their entirety, including five counts of espionage and theft, and an amended version of four other charges; she was acquitted of aiding the enemy. The sentencing phase began the next day.[1]

·
Banned
2,577 Posts

yet he is in Jail

Manning commited the crime while in the military hence UCMJ
the General was retired, and charged as a civilian, hence US Code not UCMJ
One treated as a service member the other as a civilian
Apples to oranges

41 - 60 of 80 Posts
About this Discussion
79 Replies
11 Participants
GreenT
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing