Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I've once again have the pleasure to drive and maintain 3-snow blowers. UNIMOG U1200 with a Ts-4 whichan expells 3000+ tons per hour and an older Oshkosh refurbished in 82 by Oshkosh with a Siccard blower which will put out 3000tons per hour and the new beast...Oshkosh...HB2518 which will have the TS-5...6000+ tons per hour.

The newer Oshkosh is a 92... and came from the National Guard w/o a head...blower. So I looked for two months and found a fairly new low use TS-5. It came off of a 2718 Oshkosh. The sale included the blower head Ts-5, 2-spd gearbox, remote 40 gallon resivoir with filters, SAE 1 Funk Bellhousing with an PTO with 2 Sundstran Hydro Pumps.

So my job has been to service the unit...and install the Ts-5 on the chassis....here are some pics to show the progress.

I've had to fab new cab mounts and push bar mounts and mag drill new holes.. There's some stuff that still needs to be attached...like the flipper ect.....sorry about the spelling mistakes....most of this was done on my phone. It seems to have a mind of it's own.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here it is today....I still have Hydraulics to work out as I only have up/down motion on the stick. Either... I'm going to stick with Oshkosh hydro system or do some retro fit with a combination of parts that came with the purchase. Secondly...power to the blower. Have to work out what's on the system and change out the planetary gears on the blower head from 6.1 ratio to a 1.5/2-1 ratio....this will give us the rotational speed to spin the 54" fan at around 280 rpms...Also will need to take the truck to a DD shop and get it detuned...from 750 h.p. to 600.

After all of that...it will get painted and given a spot on the work roster.

Attachments

·
Registered
470 Posts
HOLY CRAP THAT'S AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! We don't have any of those in Southeast USA! A flake of snow hits and the town shuts down :) :)

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes...there is two seats...one possibly 3 people could sit.(Unimog).

NO crab steer just on the older Oshkosh which works very well. It's great for tight corners...getting more pressure on the head as you work your way into a bank especially if you have some dry ground to the left or right.... It's a handful though as it's all manual. Lastyear we never needed it or used it. We usually work with a maintainer that furrows the snow to the road and the blower picks it up and tosses it 200+ feet one way or another....I love aiming for the birds...signs... a unsuspecting traveler...telephone poles... or a speeding crazy cars....LOL!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
i can see oporating a blower would be tons fo fun. just get a flask of coffee and go at it for ever. LOL

i just serviced a U1600 with a double drum schmidt and all i can say is that its cute compared to what is seen here. :D

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
its not mine but i'll post a pic anyway. i dont think the owner would mind. acutally just loaded it up on a lowbed this morning and she's going to be working hard very soon. quite a well optioned mog. standing in front of the blower and watch it spin gives you nightmares though. :p

Attachments

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very Nice T-Max...Looks good! Do you have any photos of just the hitch? Frontal pics too...What model is it? Just want to compare the old military version hitch.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Charles

Those are some really cool photos. I have to say if I wasn't working I would love a ride along...

I do have 1 big Question... Why are you getting it detuned?

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Charles

Those are some really cool photos. I have to say if I wasn't working I would love a ride along...

I do have 1 big Question... Why are you getting it detuned?
Well..the engine puts out a 100h.p. more than the head will take. Mu decision is based upon mfg reccomendations per WASAU.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Well..the engine puts out a 100h.p. more than the head will take. Mu decision is based upon mfg reccomendations per WASAU.
hmmm ok, just keep in mind is that engine rated power or rated hydrolic power... I think you said it was hydrolicly driven.

I guess the big question is if you have X power avaliable will you allways deliver that amount of power?

I know too much power can be bad... and most are in the market to make more so Im just wondering.

Keep sending us the photo Charles.. I have to admit they are cool to see.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts