Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, as my profile says I live in New Mexico and do not have to deal with much rain or snow. Well tonite we got rocked with a pretty good snow storm in Albuquerque, 6 inches so far and still falling.
When driving my 92 190 Sportline (2.6 and auto) home tonite I have to say that besides for my 1982 5.0 4 speed Mustang this car was the worse car in snow I have ever driven. I have new all season Yokohama's mounted and the alignment is perfect. Based on the fact that it does not snow where I am more than 5-10 times per year I have no desire to buy snow tires.
Is there something I can do to improve traction and handling?
First thought it to put a few hundred pounds of sand in the trunk to weigh the ass end down. The car was fishtailing all over the road when driving at 25 MPH in no more than 2 inches of snow.
Also, when pulling away from a red light, I could not get traction. And if was even slightly uphill, forget about it!
Again, the tires have less than 5k miles on them so I know replacing those will not help.

I appreciate any input from those who deal with this more frequently than I do.

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
hehe I live in Montreal, and over here we get...ALOT of snow.
And i can tell you know, its all down to the tires, when i had 4 season tires last year.. forget about it, its exactly as you described off the line i had 0 traction, car woulnd't go uphills hehe and fish tailed ALL OVER THE PLACE! (..I must confess though, i absolutly loved the fishtailing :D)

But then this year we have a new law that makes winter tires mandatory, and the difference is stunning! Car feels like a tractor over snow, ...but its still hopeless over ice.

Basically, i guess there's only so little a person can do without the tires, so i'd say put some weight in the back, be very gentle with the gaz and brake (gently pumping the gaz from a red light helps a little with traction...)
and hehe 1 lesson i learned the wrong way as a kid.... double your braking distance!! the last thing u want is to slip and smack in someones rear bumper

Best of luck to you mfagus!

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
What model of Yokohama's are you riding on?

Not all all-season tires are the same. Some are built leaning towards dry driving and minimal snow while others lean towards wet, slush and snow driving with more noise in the dry.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Like Ivan, I also live in Quebec, and I should say there is nothing to do without good winter tires. The only other advice I can give you is to put 200 to 300 pounds of sand bags in your trunk, this should help you a bit with the small amount of snow you get during winter! Also try to fill up your gaz tank as often as possible, to keep the car as heavy as possible !

Good luck!
Dominic

·
Registered
51 Posts
Keep the gas tank filled. And if you DO put sand, salt, etc. in the trunk, make sure the bags are pushed up against the back of the rear seats so they sit right over the axle so the weight isn't wayyyy back to the license plate.

You could always lift it and throw knobbies on it ;)

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Just thank your lucky stars you don't have a standard transmission.

BMWs of the 1980s are equally as bad, and I once did a 360 spin on Louisiana approaching Montgomery intitated simply by letting off the gas in my 533i.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Like Ivan and Doomrt, I also live in Quebec :) and this is my first winter with my car... I HATE IT! At first I was like "oh yeah drifting is cool!" but now its starting to piss me off! I put some weight in the trunk but not nearly 200-300 so I think I should put more :D.

I sware to God, first corner ever in winter I slided right into a snow bank LOL!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Like Ivan and Doomrt, I also live in Quebec :) and this is my first winter with my car... I HATE IT! At first I was like "oh yeah drifting is cool!" but now its starting to piss me off! I put some weight in the trunk but not nearly 200-300 so I think I should put more :D.

I sware to God, first corner ever in winter I slided right into a snow bank LOL!
haha, i understand where your coming from... that first storm we got about 2 weeks ago really made the car impossible to drive, didn't matter what tires u had or how much weight in the trunk.

I daily drive my car during the spring, summer and fall but when winter comes around, its time to take the train, bus and metro systems :S. I'll only take it out when the roads or COMPLETLY dry with absolutly no signs of salt (Yup, here in Montreal we have to genius idea to use... salt!! to clear the roads, how wonderfull for old cars :crybaby2:) or when there is fresh powder for a little bit of driving pleasure.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yeah, it was a good first snow and I had my tyres installed like 2 days before...I was pretty happy to have them! I also daily drive my benz, but I don't have another car to use this winter, so i'm cleaning the car and letting it dry about once for two weeks to prevent the salt from doing it's evil stuff.

And to have a chance to drive it any day, here in Quebec streets are larger and wider than in montreal, so I have enough room to drift all the time when there's more than 1 cm of snow!..which will probably cost me 2 rear bering by the end of the winter!

·
Registered
45 Posts
If it really concerns you, just break down and get some snow tires - even cheap ones. I think the Tire Rack usually has them pretty cheap. Do you have a spare set of rims? If not, I bet you could find some in a junkyard out there for very little money. Around here MB's of that vintage are fairly plentiful at the yards. Put the two together and you have an easy solution that will probably last you a few winters.

The only other option I can think of is chains, and that's just no fun.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Real snow tires make a big difference. When I first drove my 190 here in Denver after a snow/ice storm it was embarassing.

I got some Nokian snow tires off craigslist. I still have to drive carefully but they helped alot. If you're still having problems-chain up!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts