Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1981 240D
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased a 1981 240D and have been contemplating getting 2 snow tires for the winter. Is there an additional benefit in getting all 4 vs just 2 for the rear?

·
Registered
82' Euro 240D 84' 300D 01' SLK320 6 Speed Sport!
315 Posts
If steering and braking is important to you then...yes. For the record, I would take my 240D out in a storm over my 300D. Not because my 300D is in waay better shape, but I have found that the 240D is more predictable, and its weight is more evenly balanced. If it is a stick shift, you have it made...

·
Registered
1967 300
494 Posts
I see you're in DC.

I live in one the worst snowed areas of the country. Ithaca isn't nearly as bad as Erie PA is, but nonetheless it is still very bad. I did a handful of research and came upon Blizzaks. I paid a pretty penny for them, but they handle like champs in the snow. This is my second season with them.

Black friday weekend we had a ton of snow fall in Erie and I still had my Michelin Hydroedges on. I was all over the place in terms of traction. It was so bad, I couldn't safely drive on the interstate to get home. I had to take back roads.

If you're going to get snow tires, get four for each tire. Skimping on something as important as tires isn't worth the risk.

I went ahead and purchased a set of 4 blizzaks from Tirerack.com for my 300D and they handle like champs in the snow. However, I wouldn't go all out for DC snow. You could definitely get away with something a bit cheaper.

·
Registered
1981 240D
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After some research and the responses I received I went ahead and ordered 4 x 195/70R-14 Firestone Winterforce.

Thank you all for the responses!

·
Registered
'84 SEC EuroCoupe, '85 200T EuroWagon, 2012 Nissan Maxima SV Sport
3,172 Posts
I went ahead and purchased a set of 4 blizzaks from Tirerack.com for my 300D and they handle like champs in the snow. However, I wouldn't go all out for DC snow. You could definitely get away with something a bit cheaper.
Having driven to Florida last winter I can say that Washington DC had twice as much snow last winter than up here in the Great White North.

Winter wonderland: the recent U.S. blizzard in photos - Wikinews, the free news source

My old W123 wagon is retired for the winter, but 4 "aggresive" snows on the new one get me around for the winter.

·
Registered
1984 300D, 1983 300TD, 1995 E300
435 Posts
Having driven to Florida last winter I can say that Washington DC had twice as much snow last winter than up here in the Great White North.

Winter wonderland: the recent U.S. blizzard in photos - Wikinews, the free news source

My old W123 wagon is retired for the winter, but 4 "aggresive" snows on the new one get me around for the winter.

Yeah, but that was a fluke. You may hear the term "Snowpacalypse" thrown around concerning the weather here last winter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts