Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running snow tires on 300 TE wagon? If so how does it handle and what tire are you using?

·
Registered
341 Posts
I'm running 195/65/15 Michelin X-Ice on the standard 8-hole MB rims. They are couple of years old now.

It handles well ... I heard that the newer generation X-Ice is even better.

I chose Michelin over the Blizzaks because of the longevity of the tires. No issues so far with road grip but I typically follow the speed limits within reason.

·
Premium Member
5,454 Posts
I'm running 195/65-15 Blizzak WS-50s on euro sedan steelies on my 88. (I recently learned that TEs in europe had different steelies than sedans (TE wheel was thicker steel)).
The Blizzaks are a few seasons old. When I first got them I put them on my sedan and I was absolutely horrified at how the car drove. IT was all over the road and I really thought I was going to have to pull the tires and get something else. It kind of felt like all 4 tires had about 5 psi presssure. I got used to it though and things calmed down as the tires got more miles on them.
On the TE this season (first time) the handling is okay but the tires are noisy. I intend to look for a different winter tire next time. I have to say that the WS-50s have been just awesome in snow but we don't get enough of it here to enjoy that capability very much.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Nokian hakka q's. Expensive but outstanding.

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
For the last 2 yrs, I've run on my 300TE stock sized 195/65/15 triple tred all season Goodyears. Mine is a 4matic, so I don't really need snows.

These triple treds wear slowly, but grip great (this will be their 3rd winter -17K miles on them- and they have more than 60% tread left)

--------also

Just bought a set of Ice X Michelins for 17" winter Monoblock IIs on my Sportline:
215x50x17 on 17x7.5x x et35 rims for the winter.
about $660 for 4 installed.
tirerack.com shipped to my local shop.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I run 195/65/R15 Michelin X-Ice after mid-October to mid-April on my stock 8-hole rims. I did this primarily to keep the car out of the ditches. With Michelin all-season tires I couldn't keep the car from sliding wildly on ice. The X-Ice tires are a little noisier than an all-season tire and they don't have a sharp turn-in. They do a great job on snow drifts and OK on ice patches. I wish we could go back to studded tires, that's by far the best traction in a tire that I've found for winter use.

The bonus to getting a set of winter tires is that I now have a set of summer tires mounted on a set of AMG rims! YUM!

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I've used Yokohama's Guardex for the past several years. Pretty decent in the snow and very decent on dry roads. Next time I'm switching to Nokian Hakkapelita's because, from what I hear, there's no better snow tire.

·
Premium Member
5,454 Posts
So this is the first I've heard of the Nokian tyres. A quick websearch shows me that 1) the "normal" hakkapelita winter tire isn't available in a 195/65-15 size and 2) those suckers *are* expensive at over $120 each. The slush version seems to come in the above-mentioned OEM size but I don't think that tire is right for my application.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Nokians are very good on snow since it's a Scandinavian brand. My choice however is Pirelli. I had Pirelli WinterCarving which are wonderful on snow. Now I'm using Pirelli SottoZero in the other car and these are just incredible. The car handles even on clear ice... I was amazed being able to drive where only cars with chains dared to come...

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Running 195/65R-15s as well, but Conti WinterContact SR 810s. Three or four seasons now and I like them so much I am loathe to put my 205/60 Michelin 'green' tires back on in the spring. Previous owner must have gone plus one on the summers. I'll probably go back to the same size as the winters when I buy in the spring. I think they feel better all around. And I'm really, really a Kumho fan. This'll be my third set - a Saab 9-3, a Chevy Venture and now the Benz.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So far I am very pleased with the Blizzaks. I've driven in freezing rain, sleet and some snow covered roads and the car has yet to break free. My rear wheel did spin a bit accelerating hard out of an icy parking lot, but the car tracked perfectly and didn't fishtail.

The Blizzaks are very quiet, more so than my Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum all-seasons that are raved about on Tirerack.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
So far I am very pleased with the Blizzaks. I've driven in freezing rain, sleet and some snow covered roads and the car has yet to break free. My rear wheel did spin a bit accelerating hard out of an icy parking lot, but the car tracked perfectly and didn't fishtail.

The Blizzaks are very quiet, more so than my Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum all-seasons that are raved about on Tirerack.
Good to hear about someone else using the Ecstas. They'rer on my short list for my wagon.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
So this is the first I've heard of the Nokian tyres. A quick websearch shows me that 1) the "normal" hakkapelita winter tire isn't available in a 195/65-15 size and 2) those suckers *are* expensive at over $120 each. The slush version seems to come in the above-mentioned OEM size but I don't think that tire is right for my application.
The hakka Q's are no longer made, but I think their replacement is the hakka R. I'm using the 205-65-15 size. No doubt they are expensive, but they work great and are fairly durable. I'm on my 3rd season and they should go at least 2 more. Note that the Blizzaks are made with a tread compound that wears off after a while which should compromise their performance before the tread is really worn down in the normal fashion.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have firestone winterforce tires on my 300te 4matic on w126 wheels. The offset is different so they stick out a bit, but no rubbing. These are SNOW TIRES and they humm a bit drive pavement and don't handle all that awesome. Bad road manners aside they have the best traction of any tire in snow and ice that i have ever used. I have driven in snow so deep that i was pushing with the front bumper and they gripped beautifully. I have to try pretty hard to slide or loose traction, and when you do it is so controllable. If you drive in snow and deep snow a lot, then buy these tires plus they are not too expensive.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts