Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
300CE, NSX, Miata
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was planning to get winter tires for my 300CE, and wanted to get some suggestions suitable for Chicago-area.

Fitment is on 16 x 7.5 wheels -- wheels from late-model W210 E-class. I think the size is 215-55-16

Any suggestions ?? Please provide specific brand/model info.

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
Nokian tires are reported to be the best. I don't have any personal experience with the...

Nokian tires are reported to be the best. I don't have any personal experience with them. I am just going by the statements of happy owners. I haven't heard anyone say anything bad about them.

http://www.nokiantires.com/indexen.html

Dealers in Illinois: http://www.nokiantires.com/html/dealer_output.cfm?location=Illinois

Hakkapeliitta 1's are studded. Hakkapeliitta Q's are studless.

·
Registered
300CE, NSX, Miata
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the input

I was looking for a reasonably-priced non-studded tire...

- Blizzak

- Pirelli 210W

- Nokian Hakkapeliitta NRS-T is a specialty winter tire for luxury performance automobiles. The NRS-T is the first premium class winter tire available for cars of this category, combining appearance winter performance, luxury, control and safety... Available with and without studs, the NRS-T provides excellent grip in snow, slush and icy conditions. Superb cornering abilities, the virtual elimination of road noise and long read life, complete the luxury driving characteristics of the Nokian Hakkapeliitta NRS-T M+S.

- Nokian Hakkapeliitta Q
Nokian Tyres Inc., the world leader in winter tire development, introduces the all new studless Hakkapeliitta Q… the world's new standard in studless Friction tires.

Any other suggestions ??

Am also interested in "special deals" or "group buys" on winter tires ??

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
Just after I bought my car last year, I bought Blizzak LM-22's. But the winter was so m...

Just after I bought my car last year, I bought Blizzak LM-22's. But the winter was so mild here, I never put them on.

·
Registered
300CE, NSX, Miata
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks... and recommended NOKIAN dealers ?

my current "summer" tires are TOYO T1-S Proxes, a max performance tire... these are max-performance Z-rated tires, and their grip degrades significantly at temps below about 35 degrees (even in the dry).

I'll still go with non-studded snows (Blizzak or Nokian Q).

#################

Any recommendations on a Nokian dealer ??

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
I don't have any recommendations about dealers. I am not familiar with any in your area...

I don't have any recommendations about dealers. I am not familiar with any in your area.

·
Registered
300CE, NSX, Miata
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Just after I bought my car last year, I bought Blizzak LM-22's. But the winter was so m

Just after I bought my car last year, I bought Blizzak LM-22's. But the winter was so mild here, I never put them on.
I am leaning towards Blizzak LM-22 as well, or (alternately) Dunlop Winter Sport M2

·
Registered
300CE, NSX, Miata
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Just after I bought my car last year, I bought Blizzak LM-22's. But the winter was so m

What sizes are they? would you be interested in selling them ??

·
Registered
300CE, NSX, Miata
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just ordered NOKIAN WR all-season tires for my 300CE

Just ordered NOKIAN WR all-season tires for my 300CE

Just ordered a set of these in OE W210 215-55-16 sizes from my dealer in Highland Park IL. Cost approx $130/tire.

Note: the WR replaces the popular NRW all-weather plus tire.

Its an H-rated tire, and performance seems comparable to the better "sport winter" tires like the Blizzak LM-22. As a bonus, its a 4-season tire, with a 50K mile warranty.

The tread pattern is pretty aggressive, and looks like a siped Bridgestone Potenza SO3. Should be good in cold rain and snow.

Will get more feedback once it turns colder in Chi-town.

·
Registered
300CE, NSX, Miata
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Just ordered NOKIAN WR all-season tires for my 300CE

Will get more feedback once it turns colder in Chi-town.
Just mounted the wheels, in time for a first wave of fall snowstorms. Then drove the car from Chicago to Florida (through the twisty Tennessee mountains) in varying conditions... over 3000 miles in the past week alone (Chicago -> Atlanta -> Miami and back).

Initial feedback is pretty good:
- great all-around tire
- snow/ice feel is REALLY confident -- better than any "all season" tire I've tried before. Great grip, and handling is much crisper than "dedicated" snow tires
- dry/warm performance/handling is pretty good... not quite as sticky as my Toyo T1-S Proxes, but not bad

I would recommend these tires to anyone looking for a great all-season tire that works well in the winter.

·
Registered
ML430
29 Posts
Nokian Hakkapeliitta 1's

I am enjoying my new Nokian Hakkapeliitta 1's. I've been driving in winter conditions all my life. These are good tires: A good combination of traction on ice, black ice, snow, slush, water covered pavement - and they are surprisingly quiet. Rated to 210 kph. Made in Finland. Another brand I recommend is Hankook. Made in S. Korea. They have the most aggressive, long lasting studs out there.

·
Registered
2000 E320S4M
1,945 Posts
Dunlop Winter Sport M2.

I have them on the ML and would have them on the GTI, but they ...

Dunlop Winter Sport M2.

I have them on the ML and would have them on the GTI, but they did not come in that size, so the GTI has Blizzak LM-22.

Dunlops are recommended by:

Audi
BMW
Mercedes
VW
Porsche (approved for 100% of its vehicles)

They have been great so far on the black ice. No snow yet to try them though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts