Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
40 degrees and raining in Detroit area. Makes me think that winter is coming.<br>
<br>
Since I'll have to drive the 55 in the winter, can anyone recommend a decent and good looking snow tire (not too narrow/small as to look dumb on the car or severely compromise dry handling).<br>
<br>
I've heard the Blizzaks are good. Size recommendation to go along with?<br>
<br>
I'll probably keep the standard 18' OE rims on it.<br>
<br>
Thanks.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
<br> <br> AFAIK, winter tires are not available for the 18' wheels. I got a set of winter tires and wheels from theTireRack.com for around $1800.<br> <br> Michelin Pilot Alpins 235/45 R17 93 H<br> AMG Light Alloy rims 7-1/2Jx17H2<br> <br> (These specs are in the appendix of your owners manual)<br> <br> We get pretty respectable winters here in S. New Hampshire, though probably not as severe as your midwestern winters. However, the Michelins, along with Winter Mode, ESP, ASR, and ABS, work very well together. I've tried to make the car 'spin out' in an empty, snow-covered parking lot and I couldn't get the car to so much as fishtail. It really seems as if the car is looking out for you.<br> There are times, like starting up a snow-covered incline from a dead stop, that I need to turn off the ESP and let the rear wheels spin. This gets me unstuck pretty quickly.<br> <br> The Michelins are great on dry pavement, too. The performance of the E55 is not significantly compromised; The car is still a beast even with winter tires!<br> <br> Hope this helps,<br> <br> Mike<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: Snow tire recommendations?

Thanks Mike,<br> That is probably exactly the same set up I will get. Seems the price has gone up a little. Closer to $1900 now, plus shipping.<br> <br> Aaron

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Michelin has a new tire called the Pilot Sport A/S (all season). This might work for you, because you would only have to change the tires not the wheels.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You did a wheel downsize on a E55 with the larger rotors and brakes?

I thought that would cause caliper rubbing?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts