Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winter is almost upon us! I am looking to purchase some used snow tires for my E430 sedan. I currently run stock 235/45/R17 all seasons; which have an outside diameter of 21.1 inches. The used tires, already mounted on rims, are 195/65/R15 which have an outside diameter of 20 inches.

With the same polt pattern and back spacing range, would these tires create a problem for wheel speed sensors or speedo? Any other issues?

·
Registered
35,785 Posts
As long as all the wheels have the same ROLLING diameters, all car systems will work just fine. Only speedo will be off chart.
For proper comparison -find on manufacturer site the RPM for each tire, as the nominal sizes do have big tolerances.

·
Registered
858 Posts
You should check the load ratings as well. I believe you will find that the tires you are considering will not be rated to carry the weight that is needed. Narrower tires are preferable in snow--but I'd one looking at going just one step narrower.
My experience is if you check craiglist often, and are patient, you'll find the right tires. Also, I got a great deal on rims by calling tire stores. Got 4 oem takeoffs exactly like those on my car, for 80 bucks!!!!

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Stock mercedes 15s (sounds like yours are from a w124) won't fit on your car. they won't clear the calipers. neither will stock e320 16s. new blizzaks for your car will run you a grand.

·
Registered
147 Posts
FWIW I have a set of 16" alloy wheels ad let go for $400 plus shipping. you could get some 16" snows and be sure everything would fit as its a Mercedes wheel.
Picture shows tires but they are not included this pic was taken before I had the tires removed.

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
Stock mercedes 15s (sounds like yours are from a w124) won't fit on your car. they won't clear the calipers. neither will stock e320 16s. new blizzaks for your car will run you a grand.
I think I missed something in your comment, Alex; stock OE 16s will fit his E430 just fine, so long as they are for an E-class.

welfarewagon, I adore those wheels on the W210 chassis. :)

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Winter is almost upon us! I am looking to purchase some used snow tires for my E430 sedan. I currently run stock 235/45/R17 all seasons; which have an outside diameter of 21.1 inches. The used tires, already mounted on rims, are 195/65/R15 which have an outside diameter of 20 inches.
The 20" diameter will be too small...in the very circumstances you need them (slippery conditions), they will be very easy to spin because they are too small.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
I think I missed something in your comment, Alex; stock OE 16s will fit his E430 just fine, so long as they are for an E-class.

welfarewagon, I adore those wheels on the W210 chassis. :)
Just tried it Greg. The wife's stock 16s did not clear the calipers on my E430. Brakes are bigger on the 430.

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
Just tried it Greg. The wife's stock 16s did not clear the calipers on my E430. Brakes are bigger on the 430.
The pads and rotors are the same for the E320 and the E430 -- at least for the non 4Matic E430. Since yours is a 4Matic that must explain the difference.

In the OPs case his RWD E430 uses the same rotors and pads, so he'd be fine with OE 16s.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
typical. oh well. good for him, bad for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts