Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350 LE
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all those that live in cold snowy climates. I am contemplating shipping my car to Colorado as i have to now maintain 2 residences and will spend equal time at both alternating bi-weekly.

I would like to know how the SLK performs in the snow as I do not want to purchase a 4x4 SUV. I tried to drive a taurus rental recently, and felt like a Trucker is was sooo high!

Seriously, how is the handling on icey roads as well as snow packed roads, with blizzack or similar tires?

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
974 Posts
SergioinMiami said:
Hello to all those that live in cold snowy climates. I am contemplating shipping my car to Colorado as i have to now maintain 2 residences and will spend equal time at both alternating bi-weekly.

I would like to know how the SLK performs in the snow as I do not want to purchase a 4x4 SUV. I tried to drive a taurus rental recently, and felt like a Trucker is was sooo high!

Seriously, how is the handling on icey roads as well as snow packed roads, with blizzack or similar tires?
I drove my car all winter in Montréal with absolutely NO problem! Granted we had a mild winter but there was a lot of snow in some areas and my little 350 behaved extremely well. I had four snow tyres installed but since there was a two-month wait for the MB-recommended tyres (four narrow ones) MB installed two narrow ones in front and two wider ones in the back, like for summer tyres. Everything went great even on slippery roads. However, you must remember this car is not a front-wheel drive. If you try to climb steep hills covered with 15cm of snow you may encounter some problems. Otherwise, the SLK is a great four-season car. The cabin is extremely comfortable thanks to the great heating system (the best I have ever seen). Enjoy!

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
1,614 Posts
SergioinMiami said:

Hopefully, Ynot will chime in. He's the resident Coloradon on this forum. I'm sure he'll have some handy advice...

·
Registered
06' SLK350
2,315 Posts
NewMB said:
Hopefully, Ynot will chime in. He's the resident Coloradon on this forum. I'm sure he'll have some handy advice...
Guess, I'll have to chime in then. :D

Go ahead ship it here and test it out tomorrow, we are expecting snow. It's not that bad. Colorado snow doesn't stick for more then one day. It usually clears by the next day. Although I don't drive around when it snows or when there's gravel on the ground. Many of my friends do and they get around just fine with some snow tires.

·
Registered
SLK 350 (2006)
421 Posts
I drove my SLK 320 and now the SLK 350 through 4 winters here in Western New York. Can't say how it was because I couldn't drive another car at the same time to compare, but I know I was passing guys on the interstate at what seemed like safe speeds to me. So it seemed pretty good. I would say about as good as most cars. I do think front wheel drive cars work better in the winter though.

The SLK is a rear-wheel drive so take it easy. Also, they recommend using the C mode in winter (it used to be the W mode), but I actually felt more in control in the S mode.

I think the choice of tires makes a big difference. You definitely do not want to be running the stock tires because they aren't supposed to be run below 45 deg F.

I used Blizzaks and now have Dunlop M3 (I think). I think I like the Dunlop's better than the Blizzaks.

·
Registered
SLK350 (apr 15)
673 Posts
Tires are certainly key. My own choice for winter use is to store the SLK and drive something with AWD, in my case the Volvo V70R with Blizzak all around. If I were going to need a new winter car I'd look very hard at the Subaru, especially the WRX models. They're inexpensive, all wheel drive, and go like hell.

But I've not driven the SLK in the snow (and don't plan to), so I can't give a direct comparison. I've driven some of my other roadsters a tiny bit in snow, and with the big tires you can get stuck on flat ground in a quarter inch of snow.

·
Registered
SLK 350 (2006)
421 Posts
RonJeffries said:
...I've driven some of my other roadsters a tiny bit in snow, and with the big tires you can get stuck on flat ground in a quarter inch of snow.
Oh my. If that were true with the Benz, I would be in trouble on a regular basis here during the winter. I never had trouble in a quarter inch of snow, ever. That hardly seems like snow. The only time I have ever been stuck was when I had my Buick Reatta. I had that for 11 winters. Just used all season radials on it. The time I got stuck was when the snow plow piled up about a foot and a half of snow at the end of the driveway. I decided to just plow through it rather than get out the snow thrower. Revved it up and back out. Only trouble was it got half way through and then the middle of the car got hung up on the snow bank so there wasn't any traction:) I dug it out under the middle of the car which was a lot more work than if I had just got the snow thrower.

Since that episode, I got a big 2 stage thrower and laugh at the snow plows now:D

I could see 1/4 inch being a problem in some climates where the snow was covering ice. Or maybe if I didn't have proper tires.

But I have had no real problems when using the winter tires.

I think I even saw a movie somewhere where Benz was testing the cars on ice and snow, so it really shouldn't be a problem.

Again, the SLK IS a rear wheel drive so it might have more problems than a front wheel drive IMHO.

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350 LE
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone! I feel a lot better now. I can't wait to take it for a spin in the windy mountain roads! I did do 156 on saturday for a couple minutes miami to boca raton. top down and my windscreen did not blow off!!!

blizzak or dunlops it is in the winters. either i buy a boring car like a range rover for colorado, or send my pocket rocket minus some HP due to altitude. i choose to send my fun car.

·
Registered
06' SLK350
2,315 Posts
SergioinMiami said:
blizzak or dunlops it is in the winters. either i buy a boring car like a range rover for colorado, or send my pocket rocket minus some HP due to altitude. i choose to send my fun car.
Good choice, you will not regret, the winters here are mild, you will do just fine with your slk.

·
Registered
SLK 350
52 Posts
Not driven an SLK in snow yet, but have done with other fairly powerful RWD cars. We get a fair bit of snow here in NE England in winter, thought it doesn't last that long. I find the most effective way of going up slopes is to turn off any traction control (though this may depend on how sophisticated they are - a bog standard "don't turn the wheel if it's loosing grip system" will just make the car stop). Give it a boot full of gas to kick the tail out and using opposite lock just ease back on the throttle a little and drift the car gently up the hill. It's not difficult and doesn't take much practice. Hope this helps

1 - 10 of 10 Posts