Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which snow chains are good for ML430? I'd like to get a set just in case that the police doesn't agree with ML's capability on snow. Thanks.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
snow chain.

my two $0.02... I though about the problem when I got my ML. Before my ML I had to put on chains almost every week when I go skiing. If I were I would get the cheapest walmark possible, that would fit (better yet just have something to show). Unless you go off roading. I would never use on my ml. I go the ml -320 just to go skiing (although only california). I have never been challange on my ml. They don't even challenge trucks that are 2X4 that just look like 4X4. I don't the ML will ever get challange. Since all ML are 4X4 all the time. <br>
<br>
But, I don't know about you Andy. But the thing is only condition 4 requires 4x4 to use chains. At that point you should not be going into the mountain. The only issues is getting out of the mountain. I have never seen road control leaving the mountains, have you. They want to prevent people out. <br>
<br>
<br>
My $0.02 worth on safty. If you are in condition 4 I would consider not driving at all. Because that means visibility is very poor like 10 feet so something (don't know the legal defination). <br>
<br>
No matter what you drive. The key is drive in snow and ice drive as you don't have any breaks at all to stop! Believe me that works. I have driven on condition so icy that I have problems standing on front wheel drive cars. Not recomended, but there was not control on the road (cause I was so early) did not know until I step out of my car. <br>
<br>
I don't even carry chains when I go sking. I would not. <br>
<br>
But, if you are going to get chains. I think MB has a list or recomended chains. <br>
<br>
ben

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
snow chains

Andy, I was attempting to go to the mountains on Sunday (S. Cal) they would allow 4 wheel drives without chains but you had to carry them.<br>
<br>
I didn't have them.<br>
<br>
yesterday I purchased a set of cables, expensive but they are recommended. I will probably try them out this weekend.<br>
<br>
Alan

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Ben & Alan

I have not much experience in snow/ice driving - typical SF bay area life. I don't think I am qualified for driving in really heavy snow. So, I will follow Ben's suggestion - get one for inspection (if any), but not use it. Alan, what is the brand/model for your cables? Please also tell me how you like them after trying them. Thanks a lot.<br>
<br>

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
snow chains (cables)

Andy, haven't tried them yet, almost this weekend as there is tons of snow locally.<br>
<br>
as for the cables, I would recommend the cables over chains. Wheel well clearance.<br>
<br>
They are called Sno-Trac (light truck traction cables) from Peerless Chain. I got them at my local tire retailer. However, they can be reached @ Peerless Chain Co., 1416 East Sanborn St., PO Box 5249, Winona, MN 55987-56349. They might have a web site?<br>
<br>
Good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts